Healthy Skinny Girl Diet

Options
Hey guys!

I'm curious as to what y'all think about the 'Healthy Skinny Girl Diet' because I'm thinking of starting it. Here's how it works: it's a 30 day diet and there are a set number of calories you can consume per day, varying from 800 - 1150. Fruits/veggies don't count towards the total calorie count, so you can consume all of those that you want. At least 30 minutes of cardio 3 times per week is required, BUT I want to boost that to 5 times. (Any extra calories consumed throughout the day must be burned off with cardio.) So what do you all think?

Keep in mind that after this diet, I wouldn't suddenly jump back into eating more. I know how unhealthy that is, and the LAST thing I want is to gain more weight. I am not overweight. In fact, if you wanted to get technical about it, I'm a few pounds "underweight". I'm 20 years young, and 120 pounds at 5'7". I'm definitely thin, but I've got fat that I don't like. I want to be tighter; no jiggling. Soo, I just want to know your thoughts? :) Gracias

Replies

• ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I wholeheartedly recommend not trying this diet. Because you are underweight and are trying to tone, you should focus on strength training, rather than cardio, to get the results you are looking for. Also, you'll need to eat more than 1200 calories per day, especially on days when you exercise.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Agreed. If I were you I'd be eating 1700-2000 calories daily, especially protein. And doing 3-4 strength training days and 2 cardio days. With your way, all you're doing is starving your muscles so they won't grow and your body will hang on to that fat you have for dear life because it thinks its starving. I've been down this route and please take my word for it its not a healthy nor pleasent one. You sound like you have the skinny fat thing going on, too much cardio can do that. Strength training, protein, lots of water and good wholesome foods are your best friend.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    well the whole fruit/veg idea is useless because if you eat as much as you like as those, you won't stick within the calories. Fruits can be high in calories, and it's all about portion control anyway

secondly, to stop "jiggling" exercise is your best bet to build muscle and reduce fat. Try some heavy lifting for 3 sets (10-12 reps) each exercise with some cardio. 5 times might be OK, though not all lifting, and I'd definitely net over 1200 calories as you won't be able to lift on such a low diet

hope this helps and good luck x
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Hey guys!

I'm curious as to what y'all think about the 'Healthy Skinny Girl Diet' because I'm thinking of starting it. Here's how it works: it's a 30 day diet and there are a set number of calories you can consume per day, varying from 800 - 1150. Fruits/veggies don't count towards the total calorie count, so you can consume all of those that you want. At least 30 minutes of cardio 3 times per week is required, BUT I want to boost that to 5 times. (Any extra calories consumed throughout the day must be burned off with cardio.) So what do you all think?

Keep in mind that after this diet, I wouldn't suddenly jump back into eating more. I know how unhealthy that is, and the LAST thing I want is to gain more weight. I am not overweight. In fact, if you wanted to get technical about it, I'm a few pounds "underweight". I'm 20 years young, and 120 pounds at 5'7". I'm definitely thin, but I've got fat that I don't like. I want to be tighter; no jiggling. Soo, I just want to know your thoughts? :) Gracias

Goodness this diet sounds horrible! At 5ft7 and 120 lbs, you should be eating WAY more than max 1150 calories. Dieting doesn't make your body tighter, strength training does.

Please search the fitness forum for strength training tips, books and MFP'ers who have successfully 'tightened' their bodies by eating more and lifting. Many MFP'ers can point you to the right direction.

P.S. Would also like to add since some women tend to be afraid of weights because of the misconception that it will make you bulky. Lifting doesn't suddenly turn you into Ms. Olympia unless you are training like Ms. Olympia.

Good luck!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    No. Work out to increase muscle, and that will burn off remaining fat. And eat. No woman of your height and weight should even consider 800 calorie days. Do not fear gaining muscle weight--it will actually make you smaller if you replace fat with muscle, even if you end up heavier. Search the site--there are women who have posted very impressive pictures where they have actually GAINED weight, but look amazingly better (and thinner!) than in their "before" shots.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    O/T but the profile pic makes you look like a reallllly long mermaid.

And back on topic -- strength training is the way to go if you want to lose your jiggle. Better yet, you can eat lots and not follow silly rules that aren't sustainable in the long term of real life.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You are already underweight. You should start lifting weights to build some muscle. That'll give you the tone you are looking for. Cutting calories without building muscle is just going to give you skinny flabbiness.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    'Healthy' is eating MORE than 1200 a day.. =/
This discussion has been closed.