its hard when you can't weigh yourself!

Options
Hi there.

My name is Rose, I'm severely ill and totally bed bound. I can't weight bare and if I need to be moved its gone by hoist. I started this weight loss journey around 90 days ago and one of the hardest parts for me is lack of feedback. I can't weigh myself due to being bed bound and not being able to stand/walk. Its so frustrating as I have to guess my starting weight based on the past and since starting this weight loss journey I have no idea how much weight I've lost.

Its so hard. I see my husband getting feedback each week. I wish I could. We are trying to measure me with a tape measure but its hard to be accurate. It sucks as its so hard to get any feedback. I know my journey will be slower as I can't exercise and all I can do is control my eating. I did look at devices to measure me even bmi and body fat but all need your weight...which I can't get.

I want to be thin so bad, its just so hard getting no feedback as it makes me want to stray more/not care if I go over. I truly hate being so ill that I can't do want I want for my weight loss journey especially not being able to even weigh myself.

Thanks for listening, I know it might be hard to,understand my situation so I understand if I get no replies.

Take care

Rose

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're ill and bed bound and having such a hard time of it. I guess all you can do is eat as healthfully as possible and getting yourself into the best health possible. Can you tell if there is a difference in how your clothing feels? Tighter, looser?
    May this will be a good way to give you some idea.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't know your situation but don't give up!! You are worth it !! Do everything you can do. I understand it is hard not being able to see if it is working but if you keep eating healthy it will work! I wish you all the best !! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your struggles. Don't give up. Another tool is to have your husband take pics of you maybe each month and maybe you could see progress that way.
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You mention measuring body fat in your post, but it seems you feel you need to weigh yourself to get full value of body fat measurements. Not so. While it's true you need to know your weight to compute the actual percentage of body fat, you certainly don't need it to measure fat loss progress.

Purchase a cheap set of skin-fold calipers. They can be found for less the $15. Look around the web for instructions on the sites on your body to take consistent measures. (FWIW, I use the Jackson-Pollack four site method, but there are many from which to choose.) I'd recommend you recruit your husband for taking your measurements. This will help ensure consistency. Take and record your caliper measurements each week. If you are losing fat, and not just weight, (this is what you want anyway) the skin-fold measurements will get smaller. Good luck.

BTW, here's an excellent video showing you how to take consistent skin-fold measurements http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy-D9LZQqM
  • vegan_rose
    Options
    You don't need your weight to tell if you're losing inches. You know it's working if you measure yourself and a couple weeks later your measurements are smaller. You may not know your weight, but you will know if it's working or not just by comparing measurements.

My husband has tried measuring me but struggling to be accurate so get different results each time (as in because we must be doing it at different bits rather than weight loss). Going to keep trying, in the hope we can get accurate measurements.
  • vegan_rose
    Options
    You mention measuring body fat in your post, but it seems you feel you need to weigh yourself to get full value of body fat measurements. Not so. While it's true you need to know your weight to compute the actual percentage of body fat, you certainly don't need it to measure fat loss progress.

Purchase a cheap set of skin-fold calipers. They can be found for less the $15. Look around the web for instructions on the sites on your body to take consistent measures. (FWIW, I use the Jackson-Pollack four site method, but there are many from which to choose.) I'd recommend you recruit your husband for taking your measurements. This will help ensure consistency. Take and record your caliper measurements each week. If you are losing fat, and not just weight, (this is what you want anyway) the skin-fold measurements will get smaller. Good luck.

BTW, here's an excellent video showing you how to take consistent skin-fold measurements http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy-D9LZQqM

Thank you. We looked at this but all seemed to mention needing weight, height etc. Its good to know we could still get feedback without so much appreciated. Oh and my husband already does it for me as I can't move much or do much myself at all :(. Will check out video and thanks again :-D.
  • vegan_rose
    Options
    I'm sorry you're ill and bed bound and having such a hard time of it. I guess all you can do is eat as healthfully as possible and getting yourself into the best health possible. Can you tell if there is a difference in how your clothing feels? Tighter, looser?
    May this will be a good way to give you some idea.

I did notice near the beginning but not anymore. Am hoping I'll see some signs again soon in the clothes I wear e.g less tight. Well I,mostly where pjs as stuck in bed but my ah bra type bras have always been a bit tight so hoping as I loose weight I might get feedback via that. Just wish it could be more regular feedback like hubby gets but I know I'll just have to wait for the other signs.

Thank you to ALL that replied, means a lot to me.
  • Sparkles614
    Sparkles614 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Rose! First and foremost don't give up on yourself. I can only imagine how difficult your situation must be. You mentioned in your post that if you are moved it must be by a hoist. I know from being in the hospital several times that many hoists have a scale on them. Perhaps you could check that out.

However, by constantly needing and wanting validation by a scale you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I (and numerous other MFP members) have said "good riddance" to the scale. I also wanted that validation, but when I would only lose a pound I would get so down on myself. Instead, focus on how you feel. Perhaps your husband could take pictures of you from time to time. Afterall, a picture can be worth it's weight in gold - you will be able to watch yourself dwindle away.

I wish you all the best in your journey.