seeking: support, friends, couch-half marathon partner?

Options
Hi! I'm Tiffany, and obviously new here! Most everything about me is written in my profile. :)

I am in need of friends, any size, age, type, and in any stage of weightloss!! Encouraging friends, preferably active on myfitnesspal friends, and definitely friends that want to share in my journey to a half marathon! But any friends will do! I'm not choosy! :)

I am currently training for my VERY FIRST half marathon! The Disney Princess Half Marathon at Disney World, Florida! It is less than a year away, Feb. 2014, but baby steps first. I am doing the couch to 5k program, and am in week 3. From there, I'll move on to the 10K program, and then the half-marathon. Some days I run/walk 2 miles and wonder how I'm going to ever run 13.1 miles, and then I imagine my self crossing that finish line and keep pushing!

I'm obsessed with reaching my goal! Hopefully, along the way I'll lose weight, make new friends, and find some friends willing to take the challenge on with me! I currently have no one to run it with, so I could use a running partner!

Replies

• ashleystaz
    Options
    Hi Tiffany!

I run a couple times a week and am looking at running my first half marathon this year! I started where you were last year and it's amazing how quick your body adapts and changes! Feel free to add me on MFP and we can inspire and motivate each other :)
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing C25K! I start week 4 Monday! I think one day I would love to do a half marathon, but first I want to conquer this 5K!
  • darylewb
    darylewb Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi Tiffany and welcome to the site. You'll find some very helpful and inspiring folks hanging around these web pages. ' Quite a few strong runners among them. There is a distance running group on here also where you might be able to network and find others who are running the race.

I've run a number of 5 and 10K races, but never a half marathon. Once I'm back into the shape, it is something I want to give a go also. My long runs are 9 miles, but not at a pace where I'd be competitive.

Cheers,
    Daryle
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've added all three of you!

I should have started week three yesterday - I'm intimidated by the three minute run segments! Going to start tomorrow though! I set my goal for the half-marathon at Disney randomly one day. I have always wanted to run, was cleaning out my computer room and found an old guidepost magazine. There was an article about this lady who, when signing her husband up for a marathon, decided to sign herself up. Afterwards, she was like "omg, what'd I do? I can't even run a mile!" ... I pretty much cried through the whole thing, and my desire to run the Disney Princess half was born! And figured I had to start small with the C25k!

It's nice you two have recently started and we have the same goals! That would make for great inspiration and encouragment! :)

Daryle - my long run is currently 2 minutes, at a 12 minute mile pace! Haha! I will make it there some day! The Disney half is all fun, people has said there's times where you have to walk pieces of the course because its congested, and/or people have stopped for photo ops with characters. Being competitive hasn't yet crossed my mind! The girl that won the princess half last year, ran it in an 1:17... 4 minute mile! Woah. I'll have to check around for some groups to join! Thanks so much for the advice!
  • ShortNBratty82
    ShortNBratty82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have ran 2 5k's last year. I am currently trying to get in 10-15 miles a week and I will begin training for the half marathon in June (the Marathon is in October).
  • ashleexmarie
    Options
    I am also trying to run a half marathon! I've already ran one 5k and I am running another on may 5th. I am slowly adding more distance each day. Feel free to add me and we can motivate and coach each other on!
  • JenHol79
    JenHol79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request! Would love to have the add!. I am doing my first half in October!
  • pamla77
    pamla77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am new to the running world at age 35... just started running a year ago and have completed a 5 mile run, and was the 5k runner on a triathlon team last summer. I have been going through laser surgeries and injections on my legs to treat varicose veins for the past 9 months and have not been able to run. I cant wait to get back into it but feel like I will be starting back at square one on my endurance level but I am up for the challenge. I believe there is a half marathon in my town in august. I would love to do the 5 miler again in july so count me in for the training process!! (can't start until treatment is finished in about 2 weeks) I would love to hear how you are training, what works and doesn't work.. and learn and train together!

I will send you a friend request. Anyone else training for a run, please add me. :)))
  • Veronicathebeautiful
    Options
    Starting tomorrow! Will add you.
  • sweets7664
    Options
    Kudos to you for going for that half marathon! :) I started c25k a while back, then stopped...and I'm not really sure why. I am wanting to start again though...I signed up for a 5k in July and I really would actually like to run it! :)

I am having a hard time finding somewhere to run though. The majority of sidewalks in my town are cruddy, the track at the high school has been taken over by the track kids, and I can't afford a Y membership right now to use a treadmill. I wonder if running in place would do anything??

Anyway, you guys are welcome to add me! :) It seems like I only have a couple of friends here that are actually conversational and supportive...others are just "there" if that makes any sense.
  • imhisprincess02
    Options
    I'm running the princess half Marathon in 2014 and I would love to get connected with people! Training and possible running buddy would be so awesome!