Breakfast?

Options
I've heard both sides. "Yes, you MUST eat breakfast!!" and "No, no, no, you certainly DON'T have to eat breakfast!"

So which is it?
Is it a personal thing?

If I eat breakfast, I want to eat EVERYTHING during the day. Literally. But if I skip it (or sort of... delay it) I eat so much less and I can control the hunger much better (I'll usually start the no breakfast days off with a cup of coffee and I really don't feel hungry until lunch time). And I lose weight without breakfast. I'm heavy, yes, and maybe it won't work as well when I'm smaller, but will it impact my health?

Hints, help, advice.
Please and thank you :-)

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't really matter as long as a) you aren't feeling like crap and b) you meet your targets at the end of the day.

I would always suggest as a starting point eating breakfast because it generally prevents me from eating everything in sight like a starved Bengal tiger at lunch time.

Personal preference. If you want to eat breakfast, fine. If you don't want to eat breakfast, fine. Just make sure you are getting enough protein, 1g per lb of lean body mass as a minimum and enough calories.

Read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal preference. If I wake up hungry I eat something. If I'm not hungry I usually don't. It really just depends for me.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    It is a personal thing.

I workout first thing in the morning. I do need breakfast after my workout. I have two eggs (boiled) and non instant oatmeal with skim milk, some apple, blueberry and a dash of cinnamon. It works for me. Good luck in your journey
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    People skip breakfast thinking they're cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved," says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. "Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure."
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information, everyone :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    People skip breakfast thinking they're cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved," says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. "Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure."
    This is a conclusion that the dietician makes of people who come to him with eating issues. There are lots of IF people out there (myself included) and don't find his conclusion credible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a little something to get your metabolism to "wake up". It was recommended to me to eat a piece of fruit if I wasn't able to/ or wanted to eat breakfast.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    My brecki is Coffee, followed by more Coffee, then probably 2 more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a little something to get your metabolism to "wake up". It was recommended to me to eat a piece of fruit if I wasn't able to/ or wanted to eat breakfast.
    Metabolism is always awake. Even when you're sleeping. This is an old myth that lives on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition