Kettlebell squats

Options
So I saw this gorgeous lady in the gym rocking her kettlebell squats, then I noticed that she was holding it upside down (heavy end facing upwards) ...

So I decided to start incorporating kettlebells into my squats as I was inspired, but it felt kind of awkward, was she just doing it wrong and I copied?

Which is the better way? or do they do different things? After google image search I get a mixed bunch of results. Verdict?

1009-front-squat.jpg

or

KETTLEBELL-SQUAT.jpg

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    The second one involves a shoulder raise and usually means you'd use less weight than the first one since the shoulders don't usually need much weight to fatigue them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The second one involves a shoulder raise and usually means you'd use less weight than the first one since the shoulders don't usually need much weight to fatigue them.
    This doesn't answer the question.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Soooo what you are saying is the second one is just a less intense version?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    The first one is a squat with just weight. The second one is a combination movement. If you were just concentrating on legs alone, do number one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The second one would need to be performed with a lower weight KB since your schoulders will get tired easily. One isn't better than the other, just different workouts. Obviously if you can hold a heavier weight close to your body and squat, your legs will be targeted more. With the schoulders raised, you will have your arms and core more engaged, but won't get the bang for your buck with the legs.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I see! Thanks, I think maybe alternating them could be a good idea then?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    A HIIT instructor told me to hold the KB from the bulky part to protect posture and work the abs more than them just hanging on limp-ish hands.