Capoeira?

A friend and I both do Capoeira and use this app but we've come at a bit of a crossroads. She records it as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. That's grappling though and it's a completely different kind of work out so it didn't seem right. I put it down as Dancing, General as it's identified as Brazilian Dance Fighting. Does anyone have any advice on how to classify it? Thanks.

Replies

• pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    You are going to think I'm crazy. I first heard about this dancing because the video game "Tekken".
  • You are going to think I'm crazy. I first heard about this dancing because the video game "Tekken".
    lol I head about it watching "Bob's Burgers" XD
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    it's not going to be the same as a jui jitsu because there is no contact, besides that i dont think you play instruments during jui jitsu classes :laugh:

the best way is to were an HRM. otherwise i'd just log it as a cardio kickboxing class.

how long have you been playing capoeira? once i find a school easy to me to get to i plan to do it again.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    A friend and I both do Capoeira and use this app but we've come at a bit of a crossroads. She records it as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. That's grappling though and it's a completely different kind of work out so it didn't seem right. I put it down as Dancing, General as it's identified as Brazilian Dance Fighting. Does anyone have any advice on how to classify it? Thanks.

For the purpose of this app, the name doesn't really matter. There's nothing magical about the name, only the calorie burn.

You can easily just add your own personal exercise to your database, call it "Capoeira" and assign it whatever caloric value it should realistically have. Ta-daa.
  • A friend and I both do Capoeira and use this app but we've come at a bit of a crossroads. She records it as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. That's grappling though and it's a completely different kind of work out so it didn't seem right. I put it down as Dancing, General as it's identified as Brazilian Dance Fighting. Does anyone have any advice on how to classify it? Thanks.

For the purpose of this app, the name doesn't really matter. There's nothing magical about the name, only the calorie burn.

You can easily just add your own personal exercise to your database, call it "Capoeira" and assign it whatever caloric value it should realistically have. Ta-daa.

That would probably work if I knew how to figure out the caloric burn. :( I have no idea how that kind of thing works though. Kickboxing is probably the closest to it so I think I'll follow that suggestion. Thanks for the tip.

And I've been doing Capoeira since September/October. I don't quite remember. I did it for a while in college and then the guy that taught it left and I only just picked back up recently. It feels like a pretty intense workout given that it doesn't take long before I'm dripping sweat.
  • meshashesha2012
    it's fun and it's also a really good workout. but it doesnt feel like it when you're doing it because it feels like dancing and playing and how can you not be happy doing cartwheels??!??!?? :happy:

one day i'll be strong enough to do a good queda da rens!
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    You are going to think I'm crazy. I first heard about this dancing because the video game "Tekken".

Me too :tongue:

I'm guessing you go to a gym or take classes on it, but could anyone recommend a good home video for learning?
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    My kids take capoeira, and I have started to do some of their workouts at home. Because I mostly do sets of kicks, etc. I log them under strength, such as Queixadas - 5 sets of 10. However, I think you are totally right when logging as cardio to log it as kickboxing. For safety, I don't know that you could wear an HRM in the roda, but you can scope out other people in class to see if they are wearing an HRM watch and talk with them about it. Glad to see other capoeiristas on the board. :)
  • Hahahahahaaaa Bob's Burgers :laugh:
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member

I'm guessing you go to a gym or take classes on it, but could anyone recommend a good home video for learning?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Capoeira&oq=Capoeira&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.9835.9835.0.10144.1.1.0.0.0.0.95.95.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.jYb-JYXJCfI
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    hmm you guys have me interested in this... is it contact? can you describe me what the training involves? I do muay thai twice a week, our sessions are usually warm up, heavy bag kicks & punches, pair up with someone for more kicks & punches using the thai pads, loads of sit ups and push ups ! I am failry new to this as well
  • meshashesha2012

the videos are pretty bad IMO. capoeira is meant to be played in a community, so try to see if there's a roda near you. many times people will get together and play in parks and the classes can be really cheap since you can barter. i know the last place i took classes, i got a good deal in exchange for tutoring one of the owners in french. in addition to playing with a group, you will also get to learn to play the instruments and the songs to sing. all of this is a huge part of capoeira and is as important the cartwheels, kicks and jingas :happy:

if you can't find a capoeira school, try calling an african dance place. oftentimes they will either know of people who meet or will have classes themselves
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member

the videos are pretty bad IMO. capoeira is meant to be played in a community, so try to see if there's a roda near you. many times people will get together and play in parks and the classes can be really cheap since you can barter. i know the last place i took classes, i got a good deal in exchange for tutoring one of the owners in french. in addition to playing with a group, you will also get to learn to play the instruments and the songs to sing. all of this is a huge part of capoeira and is as important the cartwheels, kicks and jingas :happy:

if you can't find a capoeira school, try calling an african dance place. oftentimes they will either know of people who meet or will have classes themselves

Awesome, thanks for the info!
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    I've been doing Capoeira since November and absolutely love it! Love my trainer, love my school (Abada) and love every single Roda!
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    IzzyBooNZ1 it's reallly intense training, strength, core, cardio, everything! Plus it's so much fun!

Sometimes we do circuit training, push ups, sit ups, running, sprinting. Other times we practice technique for kicks, which burns the legs. And when we train esquiva's (ducks/blocks) you can't walk the next day because they all involve squatting for long periods of time!

I burn about 500-600 calories a class. It's really good for the body and soul.