My own couch to 5K to 10K to 1/2 marathon to Marathon

Options
I keep hearing about the couch to 5K program, I don't know much about it but it has inspired me to do my own program (mostly because I don't have the money to purchase the program), I am going to start by walking and running everyday for about an hour a day and I will work my way up to just running and eventually I am going to work my way up to running a marathon. I have always hated running, mostly because I have always been bad at it (I'm a very slow runner). Now I am trying to work my way through the ranks from 3K to Full Marathon. Today I walked/ran for 50min 21sec, for 2.80 miles at the average pace of 3.33mph (according to Edomondo), I am hoping to walk 3 miles in 55 minutes tomorrow. I am posting this for support and advice from anyone who is a runner or is like me and going from the couch to trying to be a marathoner and can offer some help.

Replies

• sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great job! You can totally do this.

I did my own version of Couch to 5K by picking a route and evenly spaced landmarks to run from and just ran a little farther each time before walking. I started in October and finally ran the whole thing on Valentine's day. Now, I'm upping my distance and am running in my first race (10k, because why not?) next weekend. I'm planning on working up to at half marathon, at least.
  • mjm6190
    mjm6190 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think your plan is reasonable. I think the key is to allow yourself off days and to accept that building up distance and increasing speed does take time. I was never a runner before either and so when I began training for my first 5K I had to take my time to slowly up the distance/speed. Even now I still find days where running a mile is difficult and others where 3 miles is a breeze. It's hard but you'll be addicted before you know it! :bigsmile:
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Does anyone use endomondo? I have had it but just started actively using it....
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    the C25K app is free i thought? i did purchase the pro but it was only like 1.99.
  • tweety432
    tweety432 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Some of the c2tk apps are free I have one from zen labs I use it most of the time going back and forth through weeks 1 though 5 I was sick so I took the week off so I m starting at week 1 hope to be back towards where I was before
  • phat_to_phab_by_phorty
    Options
    c25k on Iphone is free.....