Any flabby arm fixing exercises...?

Options
I do regular cardio on an elliptical and step aerobics between 4-5 times a week. I have lost weight in my stomach and legs, but my arms still seem to be the same big size. (upper arms)
Does anybody know a good cardio exercise that kind of targets fat burning in the upper arms more? thanks and keep up the good work everyone!!

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    This is one of my problems, too. I'm no expert, but I think strength training is the way to go here instead of cardio -- meaning push ups and lifting weights. I plan to order some dumbbells and start out small.

So far all I am doing is walking everywhere (instead of going to a gym. I live next to a national park (so the trails and fields are gorgeous this time of year), but I know I need to add something for my upper body, especially my arms.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry... I didn't see the "cardio" part of the question...

Yeah, cardio's a big fat no for muscle toning. If you want to tone your arms, lift weights. If you want to tone your arms AND get some cardio in... lift weights faster. :)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You could get some free weights or a Kettlebell and work your arms that way. That or body weight like these http://life.gaiam.com/article/arm-toning-exercises-without-weights
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    arcticfox, those look really good. Thanks for posting the link. I'm going to try them today.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I do regular cardio on an elliptical and step aerobics between 4-5 times a week. I have lost weight in my stomach and legs, but my arms still seem to be the same big size. (upper arms)
    Does anybody know a good cardio exercise that kind of targets fat burning in the upper arms more? thanks and keep up the good work everyone!!
    NO EXERCISE spot reduces any area of the body. Fat is lost based on your genetics. Just stay consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    NO EXERCISE spot reduces any area of the body. Fat is lost based on your genetics. Just stay consistent.

THIS!

SO much awful information on these forums, there's no such thing as spot training. The only way to really "pick" where fat comes off is through lipo.

OP if anyone ever gives you advice on how to "tone up X area" the smartest thing you could do is probably never listen to another thing that comes out of them.

Muscle "tone" is a direct result of bodyfat composition. No dude will ever have a 6-pack at 20% bodyfat, regardless of how much core work he does. The only way to look "toned" is to lose fat.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Fork put downs.

You cannot spot reduce. Continue to decrease body fat with a sensible calorie deficit and eventually your arms will follow. Weights can condition the muscle underneath so your arms will look good when the fat comes off, but exercise will not decrease arm fat.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As most people say you can't target that fat but you can do specific exercises to tone them up - do a google for tricep kickbacks and tricep extensions, you'll know it works when you feel how tiring they can be! Also, you don't need to use weights, there's a little exercise you can do throughout the day that helps too, dunno what it's called but basically place your arms by your sides keeping your elbows still, raise your forearm up to the front a little then push your arm back, you'll feel your triceps work (sorry, I don't know the name of this one, hope I explained it ok! Main thing is to keep your elbows still at your sides and put the effort into pushing back)
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    As most people say you can't target that fat but you can do specific exercises to tone them up - do a google for tricep kickbacks and tricep extensions, you'll know it works when you feel how tiring they can be! Also, you don't need to use weights, there's a little exercise you can do throughout the day that helps too, dunno what it's called but basically place your arms by your sides keeping your elbows still, raise your forearm up to the front a little then push your arm back, you'll feel your triceps work (sorry, I don't know the name of this one, hope I explained it ok! Main thing is to keep your elbows still at your sides and put the effort into pushing back)
    no you can't. tone is the loss of bodyfat so existing muscle shows through. dong arm exercises will not in any way change body fat levels in that area of the body.

You get FAR more bang by doing full body compounds to expend more calories, and watching your diet to create a deficit.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Agree, it won't change the fat but it will tone the arms! And just to add to my advice, don't use heavy weights or you'll increase the size of the muscle over time which could give even bigger arms (and when you lose tone later in life there'll be saggier skin) - stick to low weights or none at all.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Agree, it won't change the fat but it will tone the arms! And just to add to my advice, don't use heavy weights or you'll increase the size of the muscle over time which could give even bigger arms (and when you lose tone later in life there'll be saggier skin) - stick to low weights or none at all.

No.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Tone is not revealed until you remove body fat, so no amount of "tricep toning" will help.

THAT SAID. I've reduced the flabby look of my upper arms quite a bit by doing 25lb plate raises to develop my feeble shoulder region and pull the skin tauter. My underarms are still fat though.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Heavy weights. I was not happy with my arms until I started lifting as heavy as I can 2-3x per week in addition to cardio. Now I am in love with my triceps. They have definition, and they look sexy

ETA: As others have said, you also have to reduce body fat percentage in general for the muscles to actually show, but you can't spot reduce.
  • JillMoto
    JillMoto Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I've been wondering the exact same thing. and thanks to all who posted.