protein in fruit?

tatorbug
tatorbug Posts: 26 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Why is it that in most fruit, a protein is figured in? I have never heard of this. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Even though fruit might not be "a protein" in the same way that a serving of chicken or eggs or something would be, it might have trace amounts of protein in much the same way that a super lean chicken breast is going to have trace amounts of fat.
  • tatorbug
    tatorbug Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks for the site.....I never knew this. IT makes it harder to stay within the protein allotment. But then I guess the fact that there is not any fat maybe I don't need to be concerned.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Thanks for the site.....I never knew this. IT makes it harder to stay within the protein allotment. But then I guess the fact that there is not any fat maybe I don't need to be concerned.

The pre-set protein allotment is on the low side compared to a lot of recommendations out there (but you will always find many different recommendations). I usually have about 30% of my calories from protein. On the flip side, just because something is low in fat certainly doesn' t mean that you won't gain weight from it! There is no fat in soda and yet it sure can cause people to gain weight! In any case, I wouldn't worry about going over your protein a little bit because of the fruit you eat.
This discussion has been closed.