Could you share your experiences as I feel like a FAILURE!!

Options

Replies

• spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    bump to read later...
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    You've only failed when you stop trying.

THIS!

Keep going. You will get better with each time.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure! A failure does nothing and your doing something. Your discouraged and that is a normal, healthy reaction. It means you see things clearly and know something has to be done.So now your here on this site with people who have done amazing things. I tried for 3 years to budge my weight and only managed 1 lb. With this program and the people here I reached my goal and then got to my perfect weight and am maintaining it easily.

This site has a culture of positive action and accomplishment. The people here have found what works if you even do it partially. Give yourself 2 weeks to get the hang of things. By then you'll clearly see what foods are best. Try to chose nutrient dense and calorie low foods. You can eat 1/2 cup of pasta or 1 of veggies but the veggies will fill you up and nourish you better then the pasta.You can also eat that cup of veggies 4 times before you come close to the calories in that little bit of pasta.

Food is your friend not your enemy. Remember cake is food. Treat yourself once a week to a big slice :-)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    When I started this new lifestyle adventure in December 2012, I was 232lbs (5'4"). When I first joined MFP, I read scores of post about JM's 30-day shred, Insanity, and PX90 (that just sounded like a new gaming system, a cross between a PlayStation and X-Box). I thought to myself "There is no way in **** I am even gonna try that. Talk about set myself up for failure - I can't even walk up the 4 steps to get to my front porch without getting winded and having aching knees. Besides, jumping up and down like that in my old house with have me crashing through the floor!"

So I started out with just counting calories and logging my food. I started out with MFP's default 1200 cals/day. I could stick to that - usually. But I soon upped it to 1300 cals/day because I didn't like going over by 50-80 cals and wanted to get the "stayed under her calorie limit" message from MFP.. I was walking maybe 1-2 times a week for about 15-20minutes with the new puppy I had just gotten. Cora, my now 14wk old Australian Cattle Dog has been come my best supporter and a great motivator.

I was losing a little bit of weight and was excited about that. I started to read about a concept called "eat more to lose more" and "eat less, move more" (I know, that sounds very contradictory) and came across a post about "In place of a road map - (IPOARM)". I read these posts with great interest, especially the replies in which many (and I mean MANY!) people claimed that IPOARM had pushed them through plateaus and spurred them to lose 1+ pounds a week. So I got IPOARM a try. I gradually upped my calories from 1300 to 1600. I also started walking daily w/ Cora (the new puppy). We started out just walking about 1/2 mile. I could feel myself getting stronger; I was no longer winded walking up the front steps.

A new gym opened up in my small town. I tried it out and was amazed that I could be on the treadmill for 30 minutes without passing out - I joined the gym in early March. i had lost about 10 lbs by that time. My daily walks with Cora when up to a mile or more now, I was training for C25K at the gym 3x/week, started exploring strength/weight training. I re-evaluated my IPOARM based on my new activity level and raised my calories to 1800cals/day. Two weeks ago, I decided for my sanity (a very active puppy WILL drive you crazy), Cora needed to be walked twice a day. So with the support and encouragement of my MFP friends, I set the alarm for 6:00am and started walking Cora in the morning and night. We have been walking 2x/daily ever since (weekends included) and now walk almost 2 miles/walk. And I have lost a total of 21 lbs to date.

This post is longer than I intended and is probably more suited for my blog, but the short of it is - just start with what you can do consistently and work from there. Rome wasn't built in a day, Jillian Michaels didn't become a fitness queen over night and neither will you. The key is to start and be consistent. The weight WILL COME OFF if you keep doing what you are supposed top be doing and don't fall to discouragement and frustration.

My diary is open, friend my if you like what you see on my profile. You can do this, as someone else posted, the only failure is no longer trying.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I started my new healthy living on wednesday so it's only been a few days. Before I did nothing. I suffered from severe depression and spent my time eating and sleeping so my weight is 205 lbs (5ft 2) and my exercise levels are none. Even walking up the stairs causes me to be out of breath :( But today I attempted 10 minutes of a jillian michaels dvd and I couldn't even do all of the exercise and the ones I could do felt like they were killing me. It actually hurt to jump around. I know it's because all my lack of fitness but I feel like a failure for it. I did 10 mins (with a break!) and here I am sweating and purple in the face unable to move. Was anyone else like this?

I haven't read through all the replies, so apologies if this has been said too often already!

I think you're going at it too hard. You started at a point where you were doing nothing at all and couldn't get upstairs without getting out of breath. You need to take your fitness training a bit more gently - try walking, then increase the pace and distance so as to get fitter and to a point where you can start to benefit from a Jillian Michaels workout.

If you can't get outside to walk try a Leslie Sansone walking program http://www.walkathome.com/

I'm sure you'll be fit enough to start training with Jillian in a few months, don't give up, you can do it! Just not QUITE yet.
  • MrsMaisonet14
    MrsMaisonet14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with so many others on here...just walk! Don't let a dvd or some stair get you discourage hun. Just walk up your street and back if that's all you feel like you can do, next week try a little further. I am no where near my goal, I only just started myself. But they key is not to give up <3 One day at a time....everyday just try to reach your calorie goal and take a 5min walk. You WILL get stronger!
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! It has made me feel much better and I am starting to feel quite proud of myself for doing the 10 mins of exercise! I do expect too much of myself so thank you for reminding me to take it easier on myself. You are all so supportive :)

Heck yeah! Just do your best everyday & soon you'll be surprised at what your best is!

When I started I couldn't climb the stairs in my house to get my kids dirty clothes without stopping to catch my breath. The good news is that they finally started doing their own laundry, the bad news is I got more & more out of shape.

I decided I wanted to lose weight/get in shape in October of 2012 & I started really, really slowly. Walking with a neighbor - which I walked waaay further than I ever would have if I hadn't have walked with her. I would go to the gym & sit on the comfy stationary bike on level 1 and pedal slow. I just eased my way into it.

After I started feeling a little more confident I joined a couple of classes, they kicked my butt at first. The instructors would stop to ask me if I was ok. I wasn't the heaviest in the class but i was the most out of shape. I decided that I would not continue to be the most out of shape one & that the only way that was going to happen is if I kept going. Now not only can i keep up in the classes I have started looking for more challenging work-outs.

In my workout classes there are some ladies in there pushing 300lbs & they rock those workouts like they were a buck 25. I have also noticed they are rocking the weight loss. I am positive they didn't walk in on day one able to keep up the way they do but they sure can now, so can I & so can you!
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My stats are very similar to yours and I'm probably much older, therefore I have learned to take it slowly. I watched the JM Dvd on YouTube and decided - not yet. I bought Leslie Sansone's Just Walk dvd. It's a 5-day plan, but you can choose which day you want to do, depending on how long you want to walk. I started with Wednesday, which is the 1 mile walk. It's a fun walk and for me not always that easy. But I've gotten stronger each day I do it and maybe in about 6 months, I might try Jillian. Give yourself time - this is a journey, not a marathon. Good luck!

P.S. - I also try to walk outside as much as I can, but its already gotten very hot and humid here in Florida, hence the indoor walking.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started my new healthy living on wednesday so it's only been a few days. Before I did nothing. I suffered from severe depression and spent my time eating and sleeping so my weight is 205 lbs (5ft 2) and my exercise levels are none. Even walking up the stairs causes me to be out of breath :( But today I attempted 10 minutes of a jillian michaels dvd and I couldn't even do all of the exercise and the ones I could do felt like they were killing me. It actually hurt to jump around. I know it's because all my lack of fitness but I feel like a failure for it. I did 10 mins (with a break!) and here I am sweating and purple in the face unable to move. Was anyone else like this?

I am 5'3. I started out at 190 last June after having my youngest. i decided to start slow- healing from the c-section. I bought a pedomoter and set my goal at 2,000 steps a day then increased it as I went.

I JUST got a gym membership ( just so I could take the kids to the pool and they get a discount on sports) Right now it's just swimming and walking and work. You can do it. start slow so it isn't too discouraging. You will find your energy improving.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 109 pounds in the best shape of my life going for hour long treadmill runs I got purple in the face after doing 10 minutes of a JM video. Its definitely something you have to work your way up to. I have lost 35 pounds since having my baby 3 months ago,but I havn't dared to attempt her videos just yet,as I know my fitness level is not up to scratch yet.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I felt like that when I started and that was just from riding my stationary bike for 5 minutes; not Jillian Michaels. I can barely get through Jillian's DVD now and cannot imagine trying it when I first started. Good for you for getting through 10 minutes - wow!.

My suggestion to you is to start slower - have patience. Focus on your eating and slowly introduce exercise in. Do things your body can handle right now - Jillian can wait until later. I started on my exercise bike and then got some Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Now I'm enjoying the elliptical and weight lifting. Big difference between then and now.

Go at your pace - find things that you enjoy and just keep moving more. Eventually you'll get back to the Jillian DVDs.
  • RangerJess
    Options
    You've started: that means you're winning!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    We have all been there. The first time I did Jillian's 30 day shred I got through 8 minutes. I did a little more each day. You can do this. It will be painful at first , but you are worth it!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Remember Rome was not built in a day. You want to be consistent. It has personally taken me 1.5 yrs to acheive my goal. I started by walking. As the 1st ten pounds were lost I started doing the 30 day shred & other aerobic exercises. You can do it.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Hey you just started! Don't feel so down on yourself. I also found it hard my first time back to exercising after having my baby. It will get better, I promise, just keep at it!
  • LNRoss
    LNRoss Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you're trying ...you're not failing. I'm 5'7" and 303 pounds. I tried videos....then I started doing something I LIKE. I ride my stationary bike twice a day, I lift weights (Upper Body) mon wed and fri and work my abs tues thur and sat. I track every mile I ride, every exercise I do. I add to my work out a little at a time. starting mon instead of 5 miles on the stat bike I'm gonna go 6. I do 12 leg lifts instead of 10 now. but I add slowly because once I up my repetitions or miles or add pounds when I lift...I can't go back!! I like tracking what I do because I can look back on my week and SEE everything I did. After a few months of adding here and there you end up with a very impressive workout !! But find something that you LIKE to do and do it everyday. A few years ago I weighed around 400 pounds...all I could do was 4 mins on my stationary bike. And that was 4 mins of torture. At the time I listened to classic and hard rock. I would pedal to the music, and I set a goal for myself to make through the song Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It took me literal weeks to make it through a 13 (Approximate) minute song...BUT the day i finished it...this sounds so dumb...I ran in to and told my husband "I BUSTED Freebird !!!" he had no clue what I was talking about LOL. But after that I kept adding more, but a little at a time, i lost 76 ponds over 5 months doing that and eating lots of meat and veggies. Then I got pneumonia and never got back into the exercise until now. I listen to music no matter what i'm doing, only difference now is that I listen to contemporary christian rock :) that helps too. If you're like me you want to pop a video in and do the workout BETTER than the people on the video....but then I can't get through the warm up....and then I start fast forwarding...then I start telling the people on the video how much they are getting on my nerves...then i cry and shut the thing off. LOL ...true story !! The more you do, the more you'll be able to do. Remember, the first few weeks you WILL be sore, but don't stop, keep going and keep tracking as you go. I've just started back a few weeks ago, so we're starting together basically. :) It's good If you can set aside a time of day that you will be able to exercise every single day without excuse. I work 12 hour midnight shifts, 4 days on 3 days off, then 3 days on and 4 days off, 7 PM to 7 AM. I can exercise at 7:30 every morning whether I'm working or off, I have no excuse :) Sorry this is so long but I have started several times and it's not easy, BUT IT GETS EASIER !!! So, keep moving and tracking food and exercise and tweak it as you go :)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! It has made me feel much better and I am starting to feel quite proud of myself for doing the 10 mins of exercise! I do expect too much of myself so thank you for reminding me to take it easier on myself. You are all so supportive :)
    You'll do this as long as you stay committed to your long term goals. Make friends (you can add me if I can help), share your successes and your challenges. Its your life and you have taken a wonderful first step.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options

you weigh 205 and was out of breath in 10 minutes? that is what I call good! that means that you TRIED! atleast you didn't sit there and just watch the dvd! I weighed 237 lbs last February. I couldn't hardly do anything that I wanted, I started doing taebo and walking and the weight started to come off.. I know weigh 165 lbs (my exercise has went from taebo and walking to weight lifting and cardio/running) if I can do it, you can to!~ add me for support! I never thought I could do it, but here I am, doing it and making it happen1
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and when I started here January,2012, I weighed 205 pounds. I am now around 156-158, and working to lose another 11 pounds. Has it been easy? Not always. Has it been worth it? YES! I can jog 5k, and am working on improving my speed. I workout as often as I can, and try to keep within my goals. Am I successful every day? No. But if I let myself focus on the negative, I won't reach my ultimate goal weight.

What helps me the most? My friends on MFP. Reading their posts, dancing at our successes, crying on each other's shoulders. We all know how hard this is!

Good luck! You can do this!

This! And feel free to add me as a friend, I am a newbie as well, only lost 2 pounds so far but I am determined to reach my goal and you can too!:bigsmile:
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    If you did 10 minutes of jillian's workout, Kuddo's you killed it, when I first started working out I could only ride the elliptical for 2 minutes and felt like I would die..my personal trainer thought I would have a heart attack, two years later I can ride it for 90 minutes, getting in shape takes time and losing weight is tough also, but you are here and trying stay here and let's do this together, great job.