burning for nothing

hawaiibound
hawaiibound Posts: 158
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I read somewhere that you burn almost 1,500 cal a day just by laying around. so if you do any extra excersize thats a plus. Is that true? i know on the biggest loser that they brun 3000+ cals a day....thats insane amount of calories to burn. please tell me if this is true.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    It actually is TRUE, now the exact amount you gave will vary for each of us, the amount given on the TV show will vary because of the large amount of weight the contestants are.

Our bodies are constantly burning cals, sleeping, sititng etc. because just our body doing it's normal everyday functioning like organs functioning properly, our breathing, blood flowing etc. etc.

I know when I first joined MFP and became FAR more aware of how our bodies work I was blown away. Some very interesting things to be learned for sure. If you check the BRM it will give you your very own info, I just now pasted a paragraph about it from MFP.

Becca:heart:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Click on 'Tools'
    It will then tell you your BMR, I pasted the paragraph down below but if you go to the section you can indivdualize it and actually see what you burn.

**Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.

Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.
    Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation. **
This discussion has been closed.