Clothes advice?? (over 40's)

Options
TriedEverything
TriedEverything Posts: 172 Member
Hi,

Just out of interest, I wondered what sort of places women of my age group look for clothes? I'm in my late 40's and live in the UK.

I always worry about dressing too old or too young for my age! I think this is quite a tricky age, as I don't want to look old before my time, but neither do I want to be like "mutton dressed as lamb"! Size is of course a bit of a restriction too, but even if I was at my ideal weight, I think I would still worry about this! :ohwell:

I'm around a size 18 (UK) although some of my clothes are 20, and one or two are 16, depending on the make. Quite a lot of standard ranges do now go up to 18 or 20, but it can still be a bit of a minefield finding what suits you. I am quite short, with a fairly large chest (which I hate!) and thunder thighs! My waist isn't quite as bad if I wear control briefs (!) and my lower legs are still passable. I find that long dresses just make me look like a sack of potatoes, but really short ones are not flattering either. Round about knee length is best, but I also like sleeves of some sort (as my arms are quite beefy!) and a scooped or v-neck, which is more flattering for me - but it's hard to find a combination of all these things.

So, are there any places you would recommend for people of my age? (either high street shops or online). Or any places you would avoid?

All advice gratefully received :smile: