Lunchtime exercise

Options
I have made the decision to exercise during my lunch hour instead of just sit on my duff for the entire hour, I'll eat for half of it and socialize still but walk (given the crazy New York weather holds out) the other half. My question is do I walk before or after I eat?

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I always walk before I eat that way If I am in the grove I don't have to hurry back to work

I tend to eat on my 15 min breaks and enjoy my outside time on my hour lunch.
    I find I HAVE to get out of the building ( not liking my job much lately)
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't get my 15 minute breaks just my lunch hour.....
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    BEFORE!!!!!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have the luxury of being able to walk mid morning, lunchtime and mid afternoon at work and I always eat after I walk
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Before! After you eat you aren't going to want to walk. You'll be more productive before you eat and you will eat less.
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I try to workout during my lunch hour too. I can manage a 40 minute workout, shower at the gym & back again with time to prepare my lunch & eat at my desk. I make sure to pack things that are easy to eat while working like salads, wraps, veggies & hummus.
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Working in healthcare, actually in an ER, I mostly eat at my desk.....lunchbreaks are few and far between. (and by few and far between, I mean I'm lucky to get a few a month) If I did get a break though I would def walk first then eat, otherwise I would eat and have lost my motivation to move :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Definitely walk first then eat - if people interrupt you while you're eating you've already had your walk, so nothing lost. If you do it the other way round you mgiht feel you've "lost" your break. But make sure you pack stuff that's easy to eat at your desk.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Working in healthcare, actually in an ER, I mostly eat at my desk.....lunchbreaks are few and far between. (and by few and far between, I mean I'm lucky to get a few a month) If I did get a break though I would def walk first then eat, otherwise I would eat and have lost my motivation to move :smile:
    I work in healthcare too a family practice clinic..so we have an official break room but I rarely see it
    So I guess I will be walking before I eat :) as long as the weather stays nice otherwise I'll be walking the stairs....
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Is there anywhere in your office you can set up a dvd player and workout inside on bad days? An exam room not used over lunch would work. I will stretch with others in our office break room, but I am a little shy about doing a full on work out for a period of time. Good luck!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm alone here in saying to walk after I guess but that is what I prefer. I like to eat then walk it off a bit.

When I worked in Oakland there was a fab yoga studio down the street that had drop in lunchtime yoga and I absolutely loved going and doing that. It was only a block or two away and the classes were donation based. Lake Merritt is okay but it wasn't my favorite place for walking so the yoga a couple of times a week was awesome.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I definitely walk first, then eat. Like another person posted, if I eat first I lose the motivation to go and I really enjoy my lunchtime walk. I have a 2 mile route that I walk in 30 minutes. It boosts my whole afternoon.