Calorie deficit

Options
I've only just posted a thread about this topic but I think I've posted it in the wrong forum.
I could do with some help please, I have been told, to lose 1lb of fat per week you need to have a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day, to lose 2lbs of fat you should have a deficit of 1000 calories per day and so on. This total would add upto 3500 calories which is 1lb of fat, or 7000 calories which is 2lbs of fat and so on.
Therefore I have been eating around 1200 calories per day, sometimes a little more. I am then taking off my BMR which is around 1500 calories and then taking off my daily exercise which can vary from 700 to 1500 calories depending on the intensity of the work out.
is this what I should be doing? I am really confused!!! Please help.
Thank you x

Replies

• FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    That is extremely incorrect. Try reading this to get a better approach http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    After reading that I am confused as well.

Let MFP figure out your numbers. If you set it to lose 1lb the number of calories you have to eat will include a 500 cal deficit. Then, if you exercise, you eat back those calories that you burn, so the deficit stays at 500 cals. Simples!
  • RosieMaherx
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Give this article a read and use the site below- I eat at 1850 calories a day on non workout days to do a healthy 2lb a week loss but when i exercise which is 5 times a week atm i eat about 2200-2400 calories still creating a deficit. and when i lose a little bit more i will re calculate for my new weight.

currently 26 days into my plan using BMR and TDEE - 20% and iv'e lost 10 lbs of fat (14 overall)- a couple of inches all over, body fat % is down but i've gained muscle and strength.

Don't aim to be skinny aim to be fit and healthy.

Eating at too low a deficit will cause your metabolism to slow down and match your intake eating more will speed it up and buy working out you'll burn the remainder.

For me personally i follow this simple rule

Cardio for Fitness/ stamina
    Weight training/ resistance training for weight loss.

The more lean muscle you have the more calories your body has to burn a day to survive so you need to eat more or your body will eat muscle giving the impression you have lost weight but you've probably gained fat but lost muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • HelllYeaHH
    HelllYeaHH Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ah yes I saw your post when you were giving 'advise' to someone and got some negative replies. :)

Seriously, read these 4 articles : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
    especially the 1st (quite long but very interesting and stimulating to read) and last article.

I was kind of doing what you were describing and also found out I was doing it wrong. Now I still struggle to eat around 1800 / 2000 calories because I'm just not hungry and eating more to loose weight feels just wrong...
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    After reading that I am confused as well.

Let MFP figure out your numbers. If you set it to lose 1lb the number of calories you have to eat will include a 500 cal deficit. Then, if you exercise, you eat back those calories that you burn, so the deficit stays at 500 cals. Simples!

This - don't try and work it out yourself! Eat the amount of cals that MFP tells you to eat. Enter your exercise and MFP will tell you to eat more. Eat more. Give it 2 months before making changes
  • RosieMaherx
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This has REALLY helped. Im going to increase my calories to around 1700-2000 depending on the intensity of the workout i do, and then see if im getting results from there. Its just hard to get your head around eating more to lose weight!