constant hunger & cravings from peri-menopause

Options
Hi

I've been away a while.. I reached my goal.. got myself my puppy and been busy his first 6 months with training and stuff.. I managed to maintain weight quite well until this last months or so when I've suddenly started having periods every 2 weeks. i get really bad choc cravings and constantly hungry... if I don't give in to it it builds up until I end up binging on high carbs meals (pizza) chocolate & brandy etc.

my weight has gone up again which is bringing the depression back as gone up to 10st again.

Anyone recommend just some appetite suppressants so I'm not constantly hungry and fighting the cravings.

Are their any choc diet or proteins shakes lower in cals than slimfast (250cals with semi skimmed milk) that I could use to replace meals when choc cravings are really bad. Closer to 100als per drink would be best.

I'm thinking of trying the 5:2 diet where eat normally for 5 days then 2 days fast only eating 500cals and drinking lots of water but I can't see how can split 500cals into breakfast, lunch & dinner or am I only meant to eat one main meal on those days?

Thanks

Replies

• endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some will disagree, but if this were me I would be cutting my carbs, because low-carb works great as an appetite suppressant for me. Once you kick the carb cravings through a fairly low carb amount, you can slowly add in carbs until you find the range that works for you--enough carbs to get healthy vegetables, fruits, etc. but not so many that you trigger binges. For me, this range is somewhere between 100-150g, and if I get up to 200 it is trouble time.

For chocolate cravings, I go with the absolute darkest stuff I can stand, because I can't eat much of the dark stuff--too strong tasting.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm already low carb and was managing fine with just one week of PMT cravings but with them been almost constant it's really hard and I'm constantly hungry and cravings carbs or chocolate.

Just need something to STOP the cravings so I didn't want them then it be much easier to stick to diet. I tried slim fast chocolate for breakfast and lunch on the days when choc cravings are bad, but noticed it contained gluten and I'm gluten free so I seem to be more bloated.

I haven't managed to find a gluten free slimming drink or protein shake thats low in cals to replace a few meals when the cravings are bad. They always seem to have some ingredient in I can't have so thought an appetite suppressant be better as then I couldn't need any chocolate flavoured drinks and can stick to just salad & veg with white meat & fish. ..be alot easier to stick to if wasn't constantly starving!