Must have FOODS! :)

Heading off to the grocery store soon to restock our cupboards. I'll be replenishing my favorite healthy foods and am curious, what are some (delicious)" MUST HAVES" for your healthy eating plan? :love:

Replies

• Raspberries lol I eat like a pint a day. They're my vice lol but there not a bad one to have I guess.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    hmm what I eat most days that I think is healthy:

chia seeds, full-cream milk, blueberries, salmon, brown rice, eggs, spinach, strawberries, soymilk, tofu, apples/bananas/grape fruit... I think that sums it up. A mix of different nuts too and some chicken or extra veggies like sweet potato and carrot :)

edit: yes, full-cream milk :) it isn't evil, I get a high quality which doesn't have added sugars etc
  • I love quinoa....we always have it stocked in our cupboard as a healthier alternative to rice. Black beans and chick peas are also staples at my house as I try to go meatless a few days a week.
  • JessHealthKick
    I love quinoa....we always have it stocked in our cupboard as a healthier alternative to rice. Black beans and chick peas are also staples at my house as I try to go meatless a few days a week.

oooh yes! I love quinoa! Thanks for reminding me to soak my beans tonight ;) I just keep forgetting to!
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member

chia seeds, full-cream milk, blueberries, salmon, brown rice, eggs, spinach, strawberries, soymilk, tofu, apples/bananas/grape fruit... I think that sums it up. A mix of different nuts too and some chicken or extra veggies like sweet potato and carrot :)

edit: yes, full-cream milk :) it isn't evil, I get a high quality which doesn't have added sugars etc
    I agree that "real" food is best. I'm thinking of switching over to full fat yogurt for my smoothies and just using less of it-I think it would keep me satisfied longer. My sister has lost a ton of weight without using any low fat foods.
  • JessHealthKick

I agree that "real" food is best. I'm thinking of switching over to full fat yogurt for my smoothies and just using less of it-I think it would keep me satisfied longer. My sister has lost a ton of weight without using any low fat foods.

you know what low/no fat means? It means no fat but instead additives! Fat is a required part in a healthy diet - I love the fish oil in salmon that I sometimes even lick it off the plate quite literally, it tastes so good! Egg yolks are just as good too - that's where all the nutrients is, I am so sick of hearing people bash eggs yolks because of cholesterol. Bad cholesterol is not due to eggs...
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member

Organic full fat dairy is good for you and tastes waaaaaaay better
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member

You should try Tempeh, it's fermented soy beans, it has a nutty taste and isn't processed like tofu.
  • JessHealthKick

You should try Tempeh, it's fermented soy beans, it has a nutty taste and isn't processed like tofu.

ooh thanks, I'll have a look into that! But to be honest I live in Japan at the moment, the capital of tofu and I just love it so much so don't think I'll be able to totally cut it out!

I will ask google if there is any tempeh here though :) edit: according to google it is here! yay!

Also, if you like fermented things, have you ever tried Japanese nattou? My bf has it every day, just loves the stuff
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    100 CAL SNACK PACKS, PRETZEL STICKS, LEMONS FOR WATER, CANNED VEGGIES, TURKEY BURGERS, TURKEY FRANKS, BAGGED SALAD, TUNA, DICED TOMATOES
  • MSWgirl7
    MSWgirl7 Posts: 5
    For me, it's about flavoring, aroma, heat etc...because we eat with our senses. You can make any vegetable, fish, chicken, quinoa, or soup healthy without sacrificing the taste, feel, and aroma! So...some of my "must haves" include a variety of fresh herbs, no-salt seasoning, garlic, onion, red pepper, cumin etc...and, of course, a really good olive oil or coconut oil!!
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    the little laughing cow cheese wedges and triscuts, yogurt, string cheese, tuna, apples, bananas, baby carrots :smile:
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Heading out now, but keep the foods coming! :drinker: