Gained 5 pounds in a week!

Options
Okay, so I'm lost. I work my butt off every single day. I usually burn over 1,000 calories a day. This week there was one day I burned only 300. I had a cheat meal Sunday, no exercise. and not much on Monday because I was sick. But besides that, I did perfect! I ate good, worked out, have been doing normal things I've been doing to drop 7 pounds in 2 weeks. I'm 5'3, a female, weigh 135. The scale this morning said I weighed 140. WTF?!?!? So demotivating and have no idea why :( help?!?

Replies

• kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you ate out, you probably took in a lot more sodium than you normally do and you retained water.
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you ate out, you probably took in a lot more sodium than you normally do and you retained water.

yup
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and keep on track! Those days are the toughest when the rotation of the earth causes us a "heavy day." KEEEEEEEP TRACKING! =) Good luck and let us know how your next weigh in goes! You got this! x wink x
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    I haven't eaten out in forEVER. Maybe it could be that I didn't drink enough water this week?
  • justicekenny
    Options
    Okay, so I'm lost. I work my butt off every single day. I usually burn over 1,000 calories a day. This week there was one day I burned only 300. I had a cheat meal Sunday, no exercise. and not much on Monday because I was sick. But besides that, I did perfect! I ate good, worked out, have been doing normal things I've been doing to drop 7 pounds in 2 weeks. I'm 5'3, a female, weigh 135. The scale this morning said I weighed 140. WTF?!?!? So demotivating and have no idea why :( help?!?

in order for you to gain 5lbs in a week (7Days) .. you would have to intake 2500 additional cals over your TDEE for 7 days straight .. if you did .. impressive .. but i doubt you did ... prob, water, sodium, etc ..
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Push water, and think back, sodium certainly can cause quite a bit of water retention, sore muscles retain water to pad the tissue while it heals them up, "regularity" has a huge influence on weight. So there's the most common issues for sudden unexplained weight gain. It takes a lot of excess calories to actually put on a real pound, and it sounds like you've been way under for the most part so I really doubt it is anything but transitory.
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    Drink lots of water and keep on track! Those days are the toughest when the rotation of the earth causes us a "heavy day." KEEEEEEEP TRACKING! =) Good luck and let us know how your next weigh in goes! You got this! x wink x

For sure will!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    had a cheat meal Sunday, no exercise. and not much on Monday because I was sick. A CHEAT MEAL ???????????
    U DONt do cheat meaLS AND EVERY CALORIE HAS TO BE ACCOUNTED FOR
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said too much sodium, drink water! Keep doing the right thing and don't let the scale depress you! It is only one indicator of your fitness. Try coconut water----it is great for hydration. Keep working out and eating right and the scales will eventually show you results! Good luck!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1400 CALORIES OR LESS
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    Sure hope this is just water!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    In addition to the possible sodium water weight thing, check your calendar. We womenfolk tend to have monthly cyclical weight fluctuations.
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    Push water, and think back, sodium certainly can cause quite a bit of water retention, sore muscles retain water to pad the tissue while it heals them up, "regularity" has a huge influence on weight. So there's the most common issues for sudden unexplained weight gain. It takes a lot of excess calories to actually put on a real pound, and it sounds like you've been way under for the most part so I really doubt it is anything but transitory.

That's what I'm thinking! It just sucks
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Drink that h20
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    In addition to the possible sodium water weight thing, check your calendar. We womenfolk tend to have monthly cyclical weight fluctuations.

Few days - a week away!! I just feel like 5 pounds is too much for that situation
  • CoachColin
    Options
    Like pretty much everyone else said you gained a bunch of water wieght which should drop no problem if you resume you healthy eating. You probably also replenished your glycogen stores a bit to which isn't a bad thing. Yeah maybe you gained a little bit of fat but probably a very insignifigant amount.
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I gained 7 lbs the other day just in water weight last week, it was gone within 2 days and i was back to my normal weight....
  • 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    had a cheat meal Sunday, no exercise. and not much on Monday because I was sick. A CHEAT MEAL ???????????

Really? I've certainly done cheat meals - thinking Thanksgiving, Christmas, my anniversary and birthday, just to name a few and I've lost 50 lbs since September. Since I think we are all losing weight and gaining fitness so that we can enjoy our life, a few cheat meals are part of that enjoyment. IMO it's unrealistic to say no cheat meals and sets one up for failure or just giving up.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    had a cheat meal Sunday, exercise. and not much on Monday because I was sick. A CHEAT MEAL ???????????

Well, That's A Good Way To Not Last Long. And BTW, I Would Lose A Very Unhealthy Amount Of Weight On 1400/Day.
  • brent_woods
    Options
    Your day-to-day weight is going to fluctuate for the reasons others have mentioned (sodium, period, water, muscle mass, etc.) The main thing is keep working at it and don't give up.