Is this considered stealing?

Options
2»

Replies

• dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you take it and feel like you have a guilty conscience, leave a note that says something like "Hey Barn Folks, I'm taking the bed frame because I don't want to see it turn to ash when the place gets bulldozed. If someone has an issue with this, feel free to contact me at 123-456-7890 or John Doe (legit number or name, preferably). I would bet you would never be contacted, but if this makes you feel like you are not "stealing", then more power to you.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Well, I already felt like it was stealing...I was just hoping that I was wrong, but I really know I'm not. I just really want it. Sometimes it stinks having a conscience. I don't know the owner and it's far enough away from my house that I can't get there, because of how far I work from it, when the people are working on the road and continuing to tear out trees so I have decided that I have to just forget about it and wait until I find one like it in a flea market/antique store...and when I have enough money. :o(

Ha ha. I hear you! I think it's funny when you try to fight your conscience by asking others. I think that sometimes advice is something we ask when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't. God bless!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    Ask the workers that are doing thie tree-clearing for the contact info of the owners or whoever is hiring the workers.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It's been bugging me so I called the city hall and they told me the name of the company who owns it but no address or phone number to go off of. No information on the internet or in the phone book of the company either. The woman at the city hall called me back about 10 minutes later, even though I hadn't given her my number or asked her for further help. She got an address of the company. I looked it up on google and it's a house...so here's hoping that it's a small business being run from the house and not a false lead. If that doesn't pan out, I'll have to take a drive down there during the day (somehow) and ask them who's doing the hiring, like cmriverside suggested. SO maybe in a couple of days I'll have my answer one way or the other. :smile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I sure hope you can get the bed frame. It would be a shame for something like that to be destroyed when someone wants it so badly. Keep us informed. :flowerforyou:
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    I think if they suddenly realize there may be something of value in there, they will tell you no. You might want to say you want old wood that you use. Recycling, being green, etc. That might fly if they think your just taking old barn wood.

Me personally, I'd take it at night w/ the help of friends & a pickup truck but hey, that's just me.
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i would be totally fine with someone going through my trash...i threw it away...god speed if you can use it. you know how much scrap metal i have gotten rid of that way? thank god for the pickers the save me tons of time!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It's been bugging me so I called the city hall and they told me the name of the company who owns it but no address or phone number to go off of. No information on the internet or in the phone book of the company either. The woman at the city hall called me back about 10 minutes later, even though I hadn't given her my number or asked her for further help. She got an address of the company. I looked it up on google and it's a house...so here's hoping that it's a small business being run from the house and not a false lead. If that doesn't pan out, I'll have to take a drive down there during the day (somehow) and ask them who's doing the hiring, like cmriverside suggested. SO maybe in a couple of days I'll have my answer one way or the other. :smile:

we have a site in fl called sunbiz.org where you can look up any business for the tax id and info.......look up the corporation site for your state and I bet you can find them!!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I went to the FL website and typed Hawtie, Inc. and your av came up.

:love: