SUGAR IN FRUIT.....Good or Bad

Options
13»

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's completely good... It depends on quantity, etc. Fruits very high in sugar, like grapefruit, make my stomach really sore and bloated, so perhaps it's not great for everyone. :smile:
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I kinda think its safe to say 20% to 25%of your calorie intake a day is a good estimate of sugars regardless natural or processed a day to maintain a balanced diet

My opinion

Example
    1500 calorie diet 30gram of sugar intake
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Never heard of somebody getting fat because they ate too much fruit.

There's a difference in naturally occurring sugars in fruit and processed sugars. They do different things within your body. Stay away from as much processed sugar as you can, especially the high fructose variety.

A lot of dieticians will tell you to eat as much fruit and vegetables as you want anyway. I've never read about a link between fruit sugars and obesity or diabetes.... and I read a lot!
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Islandgirl1983
    Islandgirl1983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Choose your fruits wisely. 1 banana 30g sugars; 1 cup sliced strawberries 12g. The strawberries are of course the better choice. In addition if you eat a protien with your fruit your body will metabolize the sugar slow and steady.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    "To be fair, fresh fruits have "fruits sugars" or fructose, and these are also considered carbohydrates. To understand why they are called sugars, it can be useful to look at the glycemic index. When food is consumed, the pancreas produces insulin. If a food is high in carbohydrates, more insulin is released. Over time, if the body is asked to produce a lot of insulin repeatedly, it can set the stage for type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance and weight gain. Low-glycemic foods are generally low in carbohydrates and low in sugars and do not demand that the pancreas produce high levels of insulin."

Live strong

Apples lemons, cantelope, grapes, blueberry, raspberry ate a few of many that are low in sugar

But I stand strong at 20% to 25% of your total calorie max intake of sugar in mg (mainly if needed to watch due to health concerns)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Here is my 2 cents....I love fruit...but

Sugar is sugar to the body. All sugars create a response from the pancreas to produce insulin to remove the sugar from your blood.
    When sugar is in your system fat burning stops and fat storage begins. I usually eat my fruit before 2pm and with the exception on a banana post workout the rest is low glycemic fruit from the berry family.

So if you goal is fat loss / weight loss keep your sugars in check and low. 6 or less Tsp for women and 9 Tsp for men.
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    A very good breakdown on Fruit Sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTmMAx9LL0
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: Just 2 pieces a fruit a day ... for me ... :flowerforyou:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    in real fresh fruit- good
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

When sugar is in your system fat burning stops and fat storage begins. I usually eat my fruit before 2pm and with the exception on a banana post workout the rest is low glycemic fruit from the berry family.

this is incorrect. Your metabolism doesn't stop and start. Instead of thinking of it as a light switch think of it like a dimmer switch. Eat anything (except all fat), insulin increases, fat metabolism slows for a bit. And if you are in a calorific deficit for the day/week then all of this is just majoring in the minors anyway.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. There is no magic way that your body "knows" if you are eating fruit sugar or downing chocolate donuts. Your body doesn't attack fruit sugar faster than birthday cake & go to work on it 3 times more efficiently. It just doesn't happen that way, & anyone who tells you otherwise is woefully misinformed or flat out lying to you.

The sugar in fruit is less "bad" because it exists in a compact, relatively low cal snack that comes with plenty of other vitamins & nutrients, something refined sugar rarely has.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

this is incorrect. Your metabolism doesn't stop and start. Instead of thinking of it as a light switch think of it like a dimmer switch. Eat anything (except all fat), insulin increases, fat metabolism slows for a bit. And if you are in a calorific deficit for the day/week then all of this is just majoring in the minors anyway.

Not wanting to start a fight but read this.

How Blood Sugar Levels Affect Weight Loss

Diet and Weight Loss Tutorial

When we eat, our body converts digestible carbohydrates into blood sugar (glucose), our main source of energy. Our blood sugar level can affect how hungry and how energetic we feel, both important factors when we are watching how we eat and exercise. It also determines whether we burn fat or store it.

Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body's cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it.

However, the greater concern with the insulin surge is not that it tells our body to start storing fat. Whatever we eat and don't burn up eventually gets turned into fat anyway.

The greater concern is that the insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat more. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.
    Source:
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_sugar.php
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I always go over my sugar intake beacause I eat a lot of fruit......So is that good or bad......hope someone can help me figure it out :huh:

S'all good :)

When its turned into juice not so much because it looses the fibre
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    God I wish people would stop giving old outdated science as fact. Frustose is not good for you. You could say a necessary even due to the good stuff you get from fruits.

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/09/sugar-and-ages-fructose-is-10-times.html
    Sounds legit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Not wanting to start a fight but read this.

How Blood Sugar Levels Affect Weight Loss

Diet and Weight Loss Tutorial

When we eat, our body converts digestible carbohydrates into blood sugar (glucose), our main source of energy. Our blood sugar level can affect how hungry and how energetic we feel, both important factors when we are watching how we eat and exercise. It also determines whether we burn fat or store it.

Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body's cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it.

However, the greater concern with the insulin surge is not that it tells our body to start storing fat. Whatever we eat and don't burn up eventually gets turned into fat anyway.

The greater concern is that the insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat more. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.
    Source:
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_sugar.php
    You forgot the storage facility between immediate energy (ATP) and fat storage. It's calories that cause weight gain, not sugar.
  • allaboutmyself
    Options
    My doctor told me a long time ago " If God made it eat it, if man made it spit it out".