Where does the fat come from in a Mineola???

Options
Nachise
Nachise Posts: 395 Member
I have been eating Mineolas recently, and I noticed that on a lot of databases, they are computed as having 1 gram of fat.

How is that possible???? This is a citrus fruit, and I most certainly don't eat the peel. Can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Plants store plants (think about grains and avocados). . .and some are better at it than others.

But remember U.S. nutrition labeling laws allow for rounding, so the actual fat content could be much lower.
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    There aren't many that have fat but olives, and avocados are among the few. It wont harm you.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    The Flavedo (the outside Orange layer that we peel) of the mineola contains essential oils, those oils tend to seep into the mesocarp (the inside edible part) which we eat. If you squeeze the peel real hard you can feel the oil on your hand.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    All plants do contain some oil.
  • Nachise
    Options
    Neanderthin, prove it. According to everything I've read, the pulp and membrane of citrus fruits contain no fat whatsoever. The peel does, but there is no way on earth that it can amount to 1 gram of fat in one piece of fruit.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Neanderthin, prove it. According to everything I've read, the pulp and membrane of citrus fruits contain no fat whatsoever. The peel does, but there is no way on earth that it can amount to 1 gram of fat in one piece of fruit.
    Most don't have a gram and I never said they did. I only said that all plants contain some oil. It's natural, and for some reason people kinda believe vegetables and fruit are devoid of fats, which they are not.
  • Nachise
    Options
    Answer me this: where is the fat in broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, and celery? My answer: nowhere. What's your's and what do you base that on, neanderthin?
  • Nachise
    Options
    I want a link to an actual source that verifies that fat is found in all veggies and fruits.
  • Nachise
    Options
    The Flavedo (the outside Orange layer that we peel) of the mineola contains essential oils, those oils tend to seep into the mesocarp (the inside edible part) which we eat. If you squeeze the peel real hard you can feel the oil on your hand.

Not an entire gram. Let's be sensible. When I peel an orange, mineral, or any sort of citrus fruit, I usually wipe my hands after peeling, but before I eat the fruit. That's just me.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Answer me this: where is the fat in broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, and celery? My answer: nowhere. What's your's and what do you base that on, neanderthin?
    Since you feel research is a waste of time I'll link to broccoli for you, k. There's a 1/3 of a gram in a cup of broccoli which comprise mostly of omega 3 and 6's.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2
    Total Fat
    g
    1%
    Saturated Fat
    g
    0%
    Monounsaturated Fat
    g

Polyunsaturated Fat
    g

Total trans fatty acids
    ~

Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids
    ~

Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids
    ~

Total Omega-3 fatty acids
    mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids
  • Nachise
    Options
    the category indicates fats and fatty acids. No fat, but a minute amount of fatty acids. Not the same. They are what are called phospholipids, which are an integral part of cell structure, but nutritionally insignificant in terms of nutrition,.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    the category indicates fats and fatty acids. No fat, but a minute amount of fatty acids. Not the same. They are what are called phospholipids, which are an integral part of cell structure, but nutritionally insignificant in terms of nutrition,.
    Fatty acids are fats and they can be saturated or unsaturated. Oleic acid for example is the fat primarily found in olive oil and the fats in broccoli are polyunsaturated fats called linoleic acid (LA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Believe what you like, it appears your going to anyway, not uncommon.
  • Nachise
    Options
    Okay, neaderthin. If you want to insist on fats at a molecular level, go right on ahead. There is no way that a phospholipid is going to amount to one gram of fat. That is what I was asking in the first place.
  • vtmoon
    Options

Not an entire gram. Let's be sensible. When I peel an orange, mineral, or any sort of citrus fruit, I usually wipe my hands after peeling, but before I eat the fruit. That's just me.

Lol, not sure if you are serious or trolling. I genuinely could care less about what you do with your minneolas or hands. I was trying to help you figure it out. I didn't realize you just wanted someone to give the minneolas a voice so you can argue with them.

Do you know how rounding works with regards to estimating calories? it's pretty much a guesstimate science, they make educated guesses based on the facts they have because food nutrition can't be a exact science due to the snow flake idea.

Now to go back to your question which I answered before thinking you were a curious soul and not an inquisition. Why they put 1 gram of fat even though "no way in hell" is because there were enough fat in it that they couldn't write zero.

When they did the hexane extraction they got enough to determine the fat was higher than their negligible threshold that they had established. That number differs based on the hexane extraction method, some aim for 200 calories some go as high as 2000 calories. Since a gram of fat is 9000 calories they decided to put 1 gram instead of 0 grams once the sample gets over their threshold. This threshold rounding tend to only happen for the first gram, after that normal rounding kicks in ( up if above or equal to 0.5, down otherwise).

If that gram of fat is really bothering that I can only imagine you going insane about the pre-entered minnoleas in the MFP database cause none of them add up calories wise based on the calories from carb/fat/protein. My suggestion is to stop eating them or do take one to your nearest food lab to get better numbers and a verified source.

P.S. you can be like the rest and just eat the gram of fat from it.
  • Nachise
    Options

Lol, not sure if you are serious or trolling. I genuinely could care less about what you do with your minneolas or hands. I was trying to help you figure it out. I didn't realize you just wanted someone to give the minneolas a voice so you can argue with them.

Do you know how rounding works with regards to estimating calories? it's pretty much a guesstimate science, they make educated guesses based on the facts they have because food nutrition can't be a exact science due to the snow flake idea.

Now to go back to your question which I answered before thinking you were a curious soul and not an inquisition. Why they put 1 gram of fat even though "no way in hell" is because there were enough fat in it that they couldn't write zero.

When they did the hexane extraction they got enough to determine the fat was higher than their negligible threshold that they had established. That number differs based on the hexane extraction method, some aim for 200 calories some go as high as 2000 calories. Since a gram of fat is 9000 calories they decided to put 1 gram instead of 0 grams once the sample gets over their threshold. This threshold rounding tend to only happen for the first gram, after that normal rounding kicks in ( up if above or equal to 0.5, down otherwise).

If that gram of fat is really bothering that I can only imagine you going insane about the pre-entered minnoleas in the MFP database cause none of them add up calories wise based on the calories from carb/fat/protein. My suggestion is to stop eating them or do take one to your nearest food lab to get better numbers and a verified source.

P.S. you can be like the rest and just eat the gram of fat from it.

...or I can just count it as an orange and have no grams of fat. How about that?
  • vtmoon
    Options

...or I can just count it as an orange and have no grams of fat. How about that?

That is what we all were trying to get you to go with from the start. Plus this way you don't have to worry about the science and trying to understand it.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    wow, HEre I was reading along about the oils on oranges and how they may or may not have one gram of fat...

and then....

rawr.gif
  • Nachise
    Options

That is what we all were trying to get you to go with from the start. Plus this way you don't have to worry about the science and trying to understand it.

Not just a little bit patronizing, are you? I know my science, and I do know the concept of negligible for statistical purposes. Nice try.