Finished my first 5k- learned I cannot run and drink water!

Options
I ran my first 5k, the Stonyfield Farm Earth Day5k in Londonderry NH. I RAN the whole thing and didn't stop, that was my real goal. I found a good friend to run with with would not LET me stop, so that helped :) I learned a couple things during my first race. There are A LOT of people around. This is kinda motivational, or distracting, but in a good way. If you are focused on 'people watching' then you are distracted from any pain you may have. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it helped get me to the finish line. Also, at the halfway point there were cups of water. Is it even possible to drink water from a cup and run? I managed to spill water all over my face. This would have been refreshing - but I wasn't even close to hot, it was like 50 degrees. Pretty comfortable for a run. The kids run was fun too. My 6 year old got her own bib and tshirt and probably felt just as proud as I did running her first race!
After this first, incredible experience racing, I'm addicted and can't wait for my next race. My goal is not to beat my time, but to reach it again. I don't know how the hell Idid that, cause I was a non-runner till this year.

3.1 miles, 32:40 min, 10:33 min pace, 970th/2200 runners.

Good luck to you all on your next 5K. If you have any tips for me on how to drink water successfully, let me know :)

Replies

• be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    Congrats on your first race! That's a great time.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    squish the sides of the cup in so that the area that the water comes out of is not so big! That is a great time for your first 5K. Wonderful!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running your first 5k. I will be running my first 5K next Saturday too. Thanks for the encouragements!!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5! I generally don't drink on 5K runs/races, even if it's really hot or humid out i find I generally have enough in me to finish strong. I'll start drinking a little when I do 8+K otherwise..Don't drink on runs...

a suggestion - for the water stops, when you grab the cup pinch it so that the paper bends and the cup's not rounded anymore and you can only get a smaller amount of water to drain as opposed to facing off with the whole exposed lip. Think of it as just..Pinching the cup and drink from the pinched part, not the wider open part
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I just take it slow with the water. If I gulp I feel like barfing anyway.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I actually slow down and walk for the 10 sec through the water station then pick back up. But, as one other person has said you can pinch the sides and funnel it. Running and drinking out of a cup took some practice for me. The first time the water ended up all over me face and I think I inhaled some of it. My last 5K it was much better...it gets easier with practice as you figure out your own way of downing it.
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you have a lot to be proud of. First off, have the b@lls to do a run/5k. Second....you completed it AND with a great time - you did it in the top 1/2! Fantastic.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Great job on your first race! As far as the water goes, I don't drink water during 5ks, for a short race it is generally more trouble than it's worth. For longer races like half marathons, I'm the geek running with a hydration pack so I can avoid the aid stations all together so I don't have to worry about slipping and falling on a stupid paper cup.
  • rmeagan
    rmeagan Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations on running the Stonyfield 5k! I was at the 5k for the New England cottontail booth. Your effort is also contributing to saving this cottontail, New England's only native rabbit. A portion of the proceeds from that day will support projects restoring its habitat in New Hampshire, which also supports dozens of other types of wildlife. There were more people at the fair and race than there are New England cottontails in the world!

If you're interested, you can learn more at our U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service blog, http://usfwsnortheast.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/celebrating-earth-day-with-a-rare-rabbit/.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!!
    Yeah I usually spill most of it:)