rhubarb season

Options
amk44
amk44 Posts: 159
I love rhubarb, but like was noted in a previous thread, using rhubarb = using sugar, sugar, sugar... :ohwell:
Or a sugar substitute... Since I really didn't want to use either the sugar or the sugar substitute, I actually tossed out some rhubarb about a week ago.

Then I spoke with my daughter who said she experimented with "rhubarb and apples" and kinda liked the flavor without adding any sugar... SO tonight I tried it.

I used 1 cup rhubarb to 2 cups of apples (yellow delicious apples - which are a sweeter apple). I cooked the rhubarb and apples together until the apples were soft, and then used an immersion blender to make a smoother applesauce, leaving it a little chunky. I added a little cinnamon and stirred it up. I really enjoyed it WITHOUT ADDING ANY SUGAR, but if you like it a little sweeter, you could add some. But it definitely doesn't need the amount of sugar that most recipes call for. I'm looking forward to putting this on tomorrow morning's (low cal) pancake.

Thought some other people who enjoy the taste of rhubarb, but not excess sugar, might like to try this... :smile:

Replies

• AlexandraNK
    AlexandraNK Posts: 54
    Options
    Great Idea! I've never tried Rhubarb but i jsut joined a CSA and it should be in soem of the crates. I can't wait to try this.
  • silramarie
    silramarie Posts: 8
    Options
    Sounds Yummy - I will try- thank you for sharing...
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    I love rhubarb! I make a variation of rhubarb and apples with fresh grated ginger - now I'm craving it, must remember to pick some up! I'm definitely one that prefers tart to sweet -thanks for sharing your experience. :happy:
  • amk44
    Options
    alexandra, if you've never tried it, don't be fooled by its look... Although it looks like celery that you can enjoy raw, it would be a mistake to bite into rhubarb the same way as you bite into celery. Rhubarb is VERY tart! That's why it usually requires quite a bit of sweeteners.

I like the taste of rhubarb, and LOVE rhubarb pie, but I had eliminated rhubarb from my diet because of the necessity for sugar or some other kind of sweetener that I consider as empty calories. That's why I got excited about using the sweet apples to provide the necessary sweetness for the rhubarb. I'm thinking I can use this rhubarb/apple sauce in muffins that would then have a rhubarb taste, but wouldn't require gobs of sugar. Can't wait to experiment...
  • amk44
    Options
    Squidln - Thx for the suggestion to add ginger... I never would have thought of it. I like ginger, so recently I bought some fresh ginger and froze it (because I saw that it is easier to grate when frozen). I'm just learning how to use fresh ginger, so would you say it was ok to add some of this fresh/frozen ginger to my "cooled sauce", or is that something that would have been added during the "cooking process"??? About how much? Would love some suggestions regarding it.