• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    BUMP!!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    :drinker:
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Thanks for that Azdak, interesting to read, and in line with my own (rather uneducated on the matter, admittedly) thoughts. HRMs strike me as a gimmick for the general home user, and the notion that I have to change my running to something else after a while or suddenly my running isn't burning the calories it used to, just didn't make sense to me. As a math and physics brain, I look at my running as, I'm still moving this 76kg lump the same distance over the same terrain, simple physics says it takes the same amount of energy to do it as it always did! Nice to see something that makes sense to me! :drinker:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Thanks for that Azdak, interesting to read, and in line with my own (rather uneducated on the matter, admittedly) thoughts. HRMs strike me as a gimmick for the general home user, and the notion that I have to change my running to something else after a while or suddenly my running isn't burning the calories it used to, just didn't make sense to me. As a math and physics brain, I look at my running as, I'm still moving this 76kg lump the same distance over the same terrain, simple physics says it takes the same amount of energy to do it as it always did! Nice to see something that makes sense to me! :drinker:

Here is a link that I got from stoutman81 explaining in more detail how difficult it is to actually increase "efficiency", once you have achieved an initial adaptation.

Whether through ignorance or by design, people are confusing the very real need to vary a *training stimulus* with the infomercial-concocted marketing theme of "muscle confusion". People have also taken the changes that take place during the initial adaptation to an exercise and mistakenly generalized that to the long-term effects of all exercise. These mistakes/techniques--conflating valid concepts into something completely unrelated and the inaccurate generalizing of narrow research results-- are very common in the fitness industry -- in fact I would say they form the basis of most of the misinformation out there.
This discussion has been closed.