Best Arm and Core routine for beginner?

Options
Hi All,

I'm only part-way through my second week and realizing I need some serious advice on arm/core exercises. Can somebody recommend a routine I can do for these areas and how many days a week I should do it?

Also, I'm assuming my cardio will get my legs in fairly decent shape without extra lifting exercises - right or wrong?

P.S. My goal is to be toned and reasonably strong, but I don't see myself really getting into weight lifting beyond those goals.

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Depends on what cardio you are doing. Running is great for getting your legs in shape but exercise such as squats and lunges will speed up the process.

I love this routine: http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/

Simple, easy to do and effective. There are links to videos of each exercise to show you proper form. Use as heavy dumbbells as you can manage.

I do it three times a week, usually after running as a warm-up followed by some stretching out.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Lifting weights is the key to the things you desire. Strong = lifting. Shapely legs = lifting. Cardio exercises the heart and burns calories, helping with fat loss but not muscle growth.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You're wrong about getting your legs in shape with cardio.

Also arm and core exercises are probably the most useless set of exercises you could be focusing on.

I would recommend doing a full body, compound lifting routine this way you'll recruit the most muscle fibres, burn the most calories, and gain the most benefits.

My siggestions would be stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for women.
  • Mizpenguin
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I think the link SRH7 will be a great starting point but everybody's input is helpful.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    You're wrong about getting your legs in shape with cardio.

Also arm and core exercises are probably the most useless set of exercises you could be focusing on.

I would recommend doing a full body, compound lifting routine this way you'll recruit the most muscle fibres, burn the most calories, and gain the most benefits.

My suggestions would be stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for women.

yes...you will not be sorry.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Adding my voice to those that already said it above me...

Want to work your core, arms and tone your legs?

LIFT.

Squats, Bent-over rows, Deadlifts, Bench Press and Overhead/Military Press work them all beautifully. Better than any 'cardio' ever can.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If you do just want an arms/abs workout to get you started, look up Tamilee Webb's Quick Toning Arms & Abs of Steel. It's available on a DVD packaged with Lower Body of Steel for 7 or 8 bucks on Amazon. Each workout is 15 minutes, so doable for a beginner, but strenuous enough to feel it--and see a difference after a couple of weeks.
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links guys.

What weights would u recommend to start off with??

X