What is your idea of a well balanced breakfast?

Options

Replies

• sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    2 eggs (the WHOLE thing...no reason to only eat the whites; the yolks are so good for you, too). Coffee with heavy cream. :)

(You can get nitrate-free bacon, too, though it can be a bit more expensive. And the deli bacon at Whole Foods is delish but, wow, is it pricey!)

I thought the yolks were higher in cholesterol? I usually eat 2 whites with 1 whole egg. Is heavy cream like creamer? and thanks for the bacon info.

Heavy cream is a dairy product. Creamer usually contains a lot of non-dairy items, but no dairy usually.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy and like easy things, so I have two favorites.

- egg/ham/cheese sandwich. I just whisk the egg, put it in a bowl, heat in microwave for 40 seconds. Remove the omelet and put it on bread, add ham and cheese, pop the sandwich in my panini maker until it's nice and toasted. Delicious.
    - breakfast burrito. Same thing for the egg, microwaved, sometimes with some cheese, then I had some turkey sausage, roll up, done.

When I feel like it I eat some greek yogurt with granola and berries but for some weird reason I have a hard time with yogurt in the morning.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    While turkey bacon definitely contains less fat and sodium than regular pork bacon, this does not mean it is a healthy food. It is a bit healthier, but both types of bacon are processed meats that are cured with sodium nitrate. A study performed by the American Institute for Cancer Research clearly showed that regularly eating processed meats containing sodium nitrates, including turkey bacon and regular bacon, increases the risk of developing certain cancers. Turkey bacon and regular bacon are best enjoyed occasionally, and should not be part of your everyday diet.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/370291-is-turkey-bacon-better-for-your-health-than-regular-bacon/#ixzz2R8Xl ALL BACON REAL BACON OR TURKEY HAVE NITRATES
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have some issues in this department.... I love bacon, any kind of bacon, but someone informed me that turkey bacon isn't good for you (lots of nitrates). I love eggs and egg whites, I love oatmeal, plain with 2oz. of unsweetened almond milk, 1 oz of sugar free syrup, 1 tsp of splenda brown sugar, and 1 mini box of raisins, I love toast, I love about anything for breakfast but I need help balancing it out. Any suggestions?

Green leafy veggies have a lot of nitrates, so avoid those as well
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have some issues in this department.... I love bacon, any kind of bacon, but someone informed me that turkey bacon isn't good for you (lots of nitrates). I love eggs and egg whites, I love oatmeal, plain with 2oz. of unsweetened almond milk, 1 oz of sugar free syrup, 1 tsp of splenda brown sugar, and 1 mini box of raisins, I love toast, I love about anything for breakfast but I need help balancing it out. Any suggestions?

Green leafy veggies have a lot of nitrates, so avoid those as well

Exactly! I noticed at the health food store that they carry "nitrite free" bacon... except those "naturally occurring" in celery. And I wondered, why does my bacon have celery in it? Given that sodium nitrate occurs naturally in foods like spinach, carrots and celery, as well as the fact that nitrite has never been shown to cause cancer, all the fuss about nitrates and nitrites is just media-driven hysteria. Truthfully, the National Academy of Sciences, the American Cancer Society and the National Research Council all agree that there's no proof of cancer risk from consuming sodium nitrite.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    From what you have mentioned, you seem to have it pretty balanced as you have got all the essential macros; carbs, proteins and fats ... all out good meal!
  • syl7970
    syl7970 Posts: 1
    Options
    a nice warm decafe coffee, black....with 3 pieces of chicken bacon, and 2 whole eggs....with some red peppers slices on side and some salsa as well....no bread its better for you this way and filling with just this at hand and a glass of fresh orange juice. :)
  • leslieba09
    Options
    I let myself have 4 "larger" breakfasts a week and 3 smaller ones, like just a yogurt or Slim Fast Bar. On my bigger breakfast days, I have whole wheat eggos with almond butter and fruit, or an egg on a what english muffin. I love breakfast foods! No matter what I eat, though, I still have a snack about 3 hours later.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Usually some sort of grass-fed red meat patty/sausage or a few pieces of bacon. 2-3 fried or scrambled pastured eggs with a bit of cheese and some coffee with heavy cream OR just a glass of raw milk. Perhaps some berries if I have some on hand.

On a work day, Greek yogurt and MAYBE a slice of Ezekiel bread toast.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea, bacon, and eggs :)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    "Old fashioned" oatmeal, with berries and a little milk.
    For a protein I either have egg whites (with chopped red/yellow bell peppers stirred in) or protein powder mixed into the milk.
    One whole Grapefruit
    Lots of black coffer.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I balance breakfast out with other meals of the day. Some days I make a green smoothie with protein powder, which has 3 or 4 servings of fruit & vegetables, so I then whatever I have for lunch (sandwich from home, leftovers, etc) doesn't have to be so veggie heavy. If I have oatmeal or eggs, I usually eat a big salad for lunch.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 cup of 1% milk and a scoop of whey protein powder to a bowl of oatmeal. Roughly 42/42/16 ratio of Protein/Carbs/Fat.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I believe your breakfast has protein, complex carbs and healthy fats. Sounds good to me.

I also eat oatmeal ( not the instant variety) either rolled oats boiled with stick cinnamon and diced apple OR steel cut mixed with quinoa( cooked on a separate pot) . After oats are boiling I add skim milk and serve it with additional fruit plus a TSP of ground cinnamon.
    In addition, I have two boiled eggs (yolk included)

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast: 1/4c oat bran, 2T tvp, 1T flax, cinnamon cooked as a porridge; 1/2c egg whites and ~1c fruit/pumpkin puree cooked in; topped with ~150-200 calories worth of nut butter, coconut oil, butter, or unsweetened chocolate. Carbs, protein, fat--and I'm full for hours :). If you need something a bit lower calorie, swapping out some of the grains for psyllium husks lets it cook the same way but fewer calories (and because its pure fiber, still super filling).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    choco mini weetabix + strawberry mini weetabix + laban* + blueberries

*Arabic dairy product looks like milk tastes like yoghurt
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I wouldn't focus too specifically on one meal but look at your day as a whole. At the end of the day - how are your macros (protein, fat, carbs) looking? If you're hitting your macros, then your fine. If you feel your short in one category or another then add as necessary. And if you have to add more protein, fat or carbs...it doesn't matter at what meal or what time of day.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    2 turkey sausages, 2 eggs scrambled, 1 piece of carb zero bread toasted with a bit of peanut butter.
    And water. Always water.

But I eat very few carbs, very little sugar, and high protein. It doesn't work for everyone, and I'm not sure I would call it "well balanced".
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is Yogurt with Granola during workdays. On the weekends I usuallly have 1 piece of whole wheat toast with a little bit of Pumpkin Honey (made locally - SOO YUMMY) and a bowl of fruit.... sometimes I also have 2 scrambled eggs with that.

I typically eat late... if you eat late is good to have a HIGH protein, low carb dinner so that's what I strive for.