SQUATS?? I need your advice?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Exact ditto to AlbertaBeefy. Squats kick *kitten* (literally). :)

Squats, lunges, and deadlifts are all you need for legs...forget machine exercises, which are pretty useless and not nearly as effective.

Just make sure you know proper form and WATCH YOURSELF doing them. They are great exercises, but form is so important (I just responded a little about this in the squat challenge thread, too, if you want general form tips...but definitely google a reputable source for images and videos)

Yes proper form is very important. Sit the hips back as if sitting in a chair, with feet about hip-width apart. Knees don't go over toes when you squat, and keep your chin up with face facing forward, not down.
    Actually the knees do go over toes and can even go past them to a point.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    this is false. knees not going over toes is pure myth. for proof look at every person ever who squats for comp. knees always go past toes.
    From what I've researched, unless you already have knee problems, this is pretty much true.

Where your knee ends up in relation to your toe depends on your squat: Front Squats will have the knee past the toe. Olympic squats (often called high-bar squat) will have the knee over the toe. Low-bar squats usually are the closest knee-toe position.

Starting+strength.jpg

I've always wondered about the knee/toe thing. Everyone always tell me to not let my knees go past my toes when doing squats so I had just given up doing squats because I didn't think I could ever do it right, now that I've seen this I'm thinking about starting the challenge back up in May
    What's disturbing is that working at quite a few gyms, I've heard lots of PT's say this out of hearsay. Sad.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Squats are definitely a great compound exercise that will make you stronger. And yes, if your BF% is low enough, that strength will show in the form of the squat booty everyone seems to be talking about.

If you don't have access to a bar bell, you can add more difficulty by doing pistol squats (one legged squats). If you do have access to a barbell, even better! Do 5 sets of 5 reps, at a weight heavy enough that you feel very challenged towards the end.

My crossfit coach does a "4 point check" for squat form.

1) Weight stays in the heels. Never roll onto the ball of your foot. Widen your stance and angle your feet out if you need to.
    2) Hips dip below the knees (also referred to as going below parallel). If you don't you'll only engage your quads, not your hams or glutes.
    3) Lumbar curve is maintained. Your core postural muscles give the movement stability and you can't engage them properly if your lower back is arched.
    4) Torso remains vertical. Like an elevator, your chest should go up and down, but not side to side or front to back.

HTH! Happy squatting. :)
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered about the knee/toe thing. Everyone always tell me to not let my knees go past my toes when doing squats so I had just given up doing squats because I didn't think I could ever do it right, now that I've seen this I'm thinking about starting the challenge back up in May

It really depends on leg (especially femur) length and proportion and flexibility...ideally, toes should pretty much line up with or go just beyond your toes, but for someone with long legs this can be near impossible. I always found it a good prompt for clients who were just starting out, though, just for getting the whole "sitting far back" idea, and then we'd go from there and adjust accordingly.
    A squat doesn't always feel like the most natural motion; when you're doing it properly (especially initially, when you're learning the motion) it feels really exaggerated. Also, legs slightly wider than exactly in line with your shoulders/hips can help with form. Chest up, though--that is also a good prompt, or idea to keep in mind as you're doing the motion.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    very interesting about the knee toe thing, I have always been told make sure your knees don't go over the toes ! thanks all !

So another question : I want to do squats holding dumbells as I currently do not have a barbell ( workout at home)

Is the form the same then if you are holding dumbells? - what about upper body, should I be upright or leaning slightly forward ?
    Final question, do I engage the core when I squat?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    very interesting about the knee toe thing, I have always been told make sure your knees don't go over the toes ! thanks all !

So another question : I want to do squats holding dumbells as I currently do not have a barbell ( workout at home)

Is the form the same then if you are holding dumbells? - what about upper body, should I be upright or leaning slightly forward ?
    Try doing it goblet style first. A lot of people I see attempting it with dumbells held to the sides invariably almost do a semi dead lift than a squat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • holothuroidea
    Options

Hold the dumbells in a front rack position. Most of the weight of the dumbells should be supported with your chest and shoulders, not your arms.

Your core should absolutely be engaged. Without core stability, form is near impossible to maintain in a squat, especially with added weight. Keep your lower back curved in, butt way out, and chest vertical. You won't be able to do that without properly engaging your core.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    4) Torso remains vertical. Like an elevator, your chest should go up and down, but not side to side or front to back.

wait.. what? How is this possible?
  • holothuroidea
    Options

wait.. what? How is this possible?

Was the wording confusing?

The point of this is stability, your torso should be rock solid, it shouldn't move independently from your lower body.

If you do it right, your chest should be in the exact same position it would be if you were standing upright, provided you are doing a bodyweight or front squat. (You have to lean over in a back squat to keep the weight over your heels). Keep your shoulders back and your chest out.

Does that make more sense?
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    it makes no sense. look at the pic of proper squat for above you. notice the position of their backs... none are anywhere near verticle..
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    Squats? Are they effective for toning my things? Or is it a waste of time/exercise? Your thoughts please?

Thank you,
    Roe
    Squats are the single best strength-training exercise you can do. They strengthen your core, strengthen your glutes, hamstrings and quads and women who squat look MUCH better (a generalization to be sure, and also from this guy's perspective) than women who don't.

Do not worry that squats or any other compound exercise will make you bulky - it won't.

... and don't just squat ... all the main compound exercises are excellent for women:

Squat, Bent-over row, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, etc.

This definitely - both my trainer and pilates instructor say squats are the business!

Sue
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    it makes no sense. look at the pic of proper squat for above you. notice the position of their backs... none are anywhere near verticle..

In the picture with the front squat, the torso is completely straight and vertical. It's the same with a body weight squat.

I already said for a back squat you need to lean over to keep the weight over your heels, but even in that case the torso should be completely stable and not move independently from the legs.

You move down with your butt, not with your torso.
  • Fivefeetjo
    Fivefeetjo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Split squats help tone up the inner thighs.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    this is false. knees not going over toes is pure myth. for proof look at every person ever who squats for comp. knees always go past toes.
    [/quote]

It's not a myth. It's squatting 101. Knees are NEVER suppose to go pass toes. Plain and simple. If see someone doing that, they are doing it wrong!!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Great info
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Go to Youtube and check out some of Mark Rippetoe's videos. He has some great ones for getting you started on the right track. Squats are one of the best exercises you can do for yourself.
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
    From what I've researched, unless you already have knee problems, this is pretty much true.

Where your knee ends up in relation to your toe depends on your squat: Front Squats will have the knee past the toe. Olympic squats (often called high-bar squat) will have the knee over the toe. Low-bar squats usually are the closest knee-toe position.

Starting+strength.jpg
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I finally had to quit doing squats and lunges a few weeks ago because of my old creaky knees. My thighs and butt are getting rock hard and I'm not sure what it is from as I don't do much in the way of exercises for my legs. Unless it is from the incline on the treadmill.
  • ileen327
    ileen327 Posts: 21
    Options
    Just my 2 cents. If you have any knee problems don't do these unless you are perfect at them. They can really mess up your knees!
    Especially if you add weight to them. Lunges are worse! My orthepedist said you should never do them! Kills the knees. I am 61 and have bad knees, the Squat against the wall is a safe one as long as you are careful!
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to be able to pick up a kleenex off the floor when you are in your 60's you should include squats, deadlifts, lunges etc into your routine. You can always get the advice of a good trainer to help you with your form. Heck, most aerobic class instructors will show you how in about 5 mins. There are some great online videos to help also. You should always start light with maybe a small bar and work yourself up in weight. Squats are a functional move. When you sit on your couch you are performing a squat. Watch a small child squat. It is functional. Adults lose this ability from sitting behind desks and driving cars all day. You need to strengthen these muscles now so you don't end up with bad knees.