Getting my dog to walk with me

Options
Fighting4Healthy
Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
Ugh! My dachshund, Copper, won't walk on a leash. I got him from a friend in December, he had just turned a year old. I tried to get him to walk on a leash but he won't, he was never leash trained. I would like a walking buddy or a running buddy in the future, but he won't work with me :cry: and the township I live in requires him to be on a leash when in public... He also needs the exercise... Any dog companions out there that can give me some advice?

Replies

• Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump... for help
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What have you tried so far/how long have you been training him for?
    At a year old dogs are usually hitting that stage where they get pretty rebellious anyway, some people attribute it to them trying to find their place in the pack now that they're fully grown.
    If you haven't been using a harness so far, try that. Positive reinforcement (treats and rubs!) when the harness is on will bring positive associations with it and, by extension, walks.
    If he's doing that "No, I'm sitting down and going nowhere thing" try not to drag him along. For the first while just hunker down a bit further along the path and encourage him towards you.
    It might feel like you're pandering to him being bratty, but if it's his first experience with a leash you want to make it as positive as possible so he learns to love walkies!
  • babecon
    Options
    Sorry I just reread and saw that you've had him since December!
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's best to get him used to the leash indoors. Put it on and play with him, so he'll start to associate the it to something positive. Once he gets a bit more used to it, start walking him indoors and reward him with treats if he walks nicely beside you.

Dogs will learn, you just need to be patient and take it step by step. Try not to get frustrated or angry with him whilst you're teaching, because he will sense that and it'll just delay the progress.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    get him a walking harness. Maybe the collar walking thing bugs him (plus the harness is safer for him than collar). If you have a petsmart or petco in your area, call them to find out when the next training course is. I encourage signing up for clicker training too. It would be a great bonding experience for you both.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why not sign up for some dog training classes in your area? If that isn't possible, there are numerous websites that offer tips.
  • louismetal
    Options
    Its never to late to train your dog. there's some brilliant resources on the net with training tips. I totally recommend looking up kikopup on youtube. Shes got some fab tips on dog training. The main things to remember with any training is rewarding success, consistency and patience and you'll get there :)
  • babecon
    Options
    OH and just in general for training, pleaaaaase train him not to jump up on the couch!
    Daxies + jumping = trouble.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Load up on dog treats while you're training your dog. And be sure the dog is not walking you, lol.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to say that a doxie is not likely going to be the best running buddy for you, while walks would be great for both. Their short legs and long back lead to hardcore problems, and running can be rough on them.
    I would try a casual walk with your dog and a friend with their calm, leash trained dog. You need someone to be an example and for some animals their desire to stay with the 'pack' means they will follow along.
    Being that doxies were bred to hunt badger, it's possible yours is very headstrong, but don't give up yet.