An extra dollar for egg whites???????

bethinagain
bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I went to a local family owed restaurant today and tried ordering an egg white omelet and the waitress told me that it will be an extra $1.00 for egg whites.:angry: I told her that the menu said $5.99 for a 3 egg omelet and that's what I want, minus the yolks and she said she knows but that's what was told to her by the owner. So I asked to speak to the owner. Not to my suprise, he barely spoke english and I could barely understand his heavy accent but what I got out of it was........that it's extra work for the chef to seperate the yolk and then have to walk away from the griddle to throw it away! :noway: WHAT THE???? Are you kidding me.:explode:

Needless to say, I ordered a grilled chicken breast with a salad and vowed NEVER to go back!:grumble:

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    hm, I personally eat the whole egg myself since the yolk has so much protein and goodies in it as well! If I was making eggwhite omlets at home I can definitely see how much more of a hassle it could be, An out to eat place will charge you even more for extra services because they are cooking for you, it would be nice if they had it on the menu, don't know if they did on yours. But I can see why there would be an extra charge for certain food made a bit differenly.

Just my view on the topic,
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    I often get charged extra for substituting a side salad instead of one of the standard side dishes (if the meal doesn't already come with a salad starter). If you've ever working in a kitchen, the special orders do slow down the process. My only experience was working in fast food, but my hubby worked in a few real restaurants and told me once about how much of a pain it was to do the special orders. The kitchen has a rhythm and even simple requests can throw it off. So, we pay the fees for the inconvenience we cause to the kitchen. I think it's fair.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    I think thats a little much. I mean your not ADDING food to your meal, just taking it away. I don't think it takes that much extra time. I wouldn't go back there either. The only issue I can see is if they scramble a bunch together ahead of time and just measure out what would be three eggs. Then I can see it being EXTRA work.

Usually when I make an omlette at home I do one whole egg and one egg white (for the protien) ;) so they would hate me because I'd ask or one with and two withough LOL
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Il work in a cafe. When someone orders an egg white ommelette, they are ordering the eggs minus the yolk, which costs the owner more to get the same "volume" of egg. Basically, they need to use more egg to get the same amount of egg you're used to for your breakfast. They usually charge a dollar extra or more to get the same amount of egg. It's not to cheat you,but to make up the amount lost through the loss of yolk. Sometimes eating healthier costs more
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Have you ever tried making an omelette with just 3 egg whites. It would be very thin and would fall apart. I don't and never have worked in a restaurant, but I do make omelette's all the time and a 3 egg white omelette would be impossible. The owner probably couldn't explain that well because 1) sounds like there was a language barrier and 2) the owners are usually not involved in the food prep. Most are business men, not chef's. For an egg white omelette to be the same size and hold other stuff it would have to be about 6 eggs. If the owner had of given you your way and made it a 3 egg white omelette at the original price you most likely would have left hungry and irritated and never gone back anyways (that was not meant to be snotty, just an observation).

I hope you enjoyed your other order. As a former business manager I hope you don't hold that experience against this restaurant. It is a shame nowadays that businesses lose so many customers because of small misunderstandings. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. Use it wisely!
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Have you ever tried making an omelette with just 3 egg whites. It would be very thin and would fall apart. I don't and never have worked in a restaurant, but I do make omelette's all the time and a 3 egg white omelette would be impossible. The owner probably couldn't explain that well because 1) sounds like there was a language barrier and 2) the owners are usually not involved in the food prep. Most are business men, not chef's. For an egg white omelette to be the same size and hold other stuff it would have to be about 6 eggs. If the owner had of given you your way and made it a 3 egg white omelette at the original price you most likely would have left hungry and irritated and never gone back anyways (that was not meant to be snotty, just an observation).

I hope you enjoyed your other order. As a former business manager I hope you don't hold that experience against this restaurant. It is a shame nowadays that businesses lose so many customers because of small misunderstandings. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. Use it wisely!

I make 3 egg omelets all the time at home with onion, mushrooms, tomatos and green peppers. The key is to use less ingredients when stuffing it and it surely won't fall apart. As for a smaller portion, that was my exact intention. As for leaving hungry, that would be immpossible with my side of fruit and side of veggies that I order along with my omelet.

I worked in a restaurant for 8 yrs. as a prep cook, a waitress and an assistant manager. What I ordered was not that difficult. I order it all the time at other restaurants with NO problem. It's true that the omelet looks smaller on the plate than their original omelets but that was what I wanted. At other restaurants, I have been asked if I would like extra egg whites to make a larger omelet for an additional charge and I have always explained that I am calorie counting and that 3 egg whites would be sufice.

This clearly explains the problem with customer service today. Years ago we used to live by the saying "The customer is always right" and we as "employees or store owners" would always make sure that the customer was getting what he/she wanted and that the customer left the business a "happy customer". People now a days are non-appriciative of customers and they would rather give someone a hard time than be grateful for the business.

Regardless what has been said previously, I still think it's ubsurd to charge $1.00 to throw egg yolks in the garbage! Unless, the garbage was across the street and down 1 block from the restaurant! LOL:laugh:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I used to be a cook in a restaurant... what you ordered is not unreasonable and doesn't take that much time. Moreover - if the cook needs to walk away to throw it away - they need to reorganize the danged kitchen... what's he doing with the shells???

I make 3 egg white omelettes all the time... it's not that hard. My omelettes are a little thinner - but that doesn't bother me. And no, of course you don't throw as much stuff in there - hey, they're saving money on your order!

I understand what the previous poster was saying about adding for extra volume... but honestly, if you want a 3 egg-white omelet... it should cost the same amount as a 3 egg omelet. And even if you wanted an extra egg white in there or they intended to put one in there... so what? Eggs are so cheap that it really shouldn't have been a big deal! They made up for it on the markup that they charged you for everything else.

Customer Service has gone terribly awry. I remember being a waitress years ago and I can honestly say that I would NEVER have gotten away with some of the stuff that the waitresses do that we've had recently.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I was thinking that maybe they are using pre-packaged egg whites (like and egg-beaters type thing) which cost more to buy than an actual egg. You'd think it wouldn't be a big deal to separate the yolk from a real egg, but sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    I was thinking that maybe they are using pre-packaged egg whites (like and egg-beaters type thing) which cost more to buy than an actual egg. You'd think it wouldn't be a big deal to separate the yolk from a real egg, but sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem.

I was thinking the same. Many local "breakfast" joints around here have options on the menu for Eggbeaters & Eggbeaters whites which cost .50-1.00 more per omelette simply based on the cost of the Eggbeaters themselves.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

This clearly explains the problem with customer service today. Years ago we used to live by the saying "The customer is always right" and we as "employees or store owners" would always make sure that the customer was getting what he/she wanted and that the customer left the business a "happy customer". People now a days are non-appriciative of customers and they would rather give someone a hard time than be grateful for the business.
    bah!!! I so agree with this one!! Whatever did happen to Customer Service the type that the customer was right and treated that way, now it seems everyone is grouchy and we are looked upon as in the way and an annoyance instead of the purpose of the business even being open! Ah definitely agree on your statement here Hon:ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Sometimes when I go out I order fried eggs and just cut around the yolk. They are still frying your egg whites in the same old grease so you probably better off getting the chicken and salad anyway.
This discussion has been closed.