Do you count house/yard work or shopping as exercising??

Options
I never do, but wonder if it would count or should count?

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    cleaning the house, no. mowing the law, yes. my rule is that if i do something around the house, and should shower afterwards b/c of sweating so much, i count it. on my feed i see all types of stuff that people count...cleaning, food prep, stuff like that. to each his/her own, i guess. for me, if i should shower after, it counts.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I do...but then not many people I know dance while doing housework. I can get my heart rate up & over 180 so I'm getting a workout. Squats while doing the floors as well. Shopping I don't count but the walking 5km there & the 5km back I do.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    No I don't count that.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    if it doesn't make you sweat, it's not exercise.

If I'm shoveling manure, digging holes for trees - yes. If I'm raking. no
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise is exercise! No point neglecting it because if you are in a caloric deficit in the first place, the nutrients given to your body are already at their bare minimum, no point in further dropping the nutritional content as it can cause your body to jump into survival mode eg. Starvation mode.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yard work yes I do. the cleaning, shopping and food prep nope.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When I spend 4 hours outside mowing and gardening, you better believe I'm going to count it. It takes the place of a "regular" workout. I sure don't have the strength, energy, or time to do both.
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Walking around the office, no. Walking briskly 10 minutes each way to and from the bus stop, yes.
    Cleaning things, shopping, doing laundry, no. Mowing the lawn, yes. If my pulse/respiration are taxed significantly for more than a few minutes at a time, I count it.
  • Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If I'm "Spring Cleaning" to the point that I'm scrubbing everything in the house and sweating like a pig then yes I count it, normal straightening up, NO. Yard work I count if my heart rate is up... Shopping, no I don't count. Like someone else said, If I need to shower when I'm done then yes I count it...
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    Mowing the lawn & gardening I count as exercise...housecleaning, shopping - nope.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If I sweat during yard work I count it. I don't count house work.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Unless I am exercising (treadmill, elliptical, running outside, weight training) I do not log it.

We went to the zoo today and walked around...I did not log it.

There was this one girl on my news feed once that logged driving. I was like WTF? lol
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    No, I don't count housework or shopping as exercise. I don't do yard work (I leave that for my dear hubby). :smile:
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I count yard work ... But then again, I live on nearly 3 acres of land, have a garden that could probably feed 5 huge families, and I do lots of strenuous yardwork. I don't count housework .. mainly because I usually poke around doing it & get distracted so much with other stuff. Plus my day to day housework is pretty small so it wouldn't amount to much anyways.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log cleaning or shopping as exercise. Now if I had a yard, I might log stuff like mowing the law, where I actually break into a sweat.

I think it also depends on how many calories you're eating. If around 1200, then you might want to log it. If say (like me) around 1600 or higher, then you probably don't need to log it.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything unless it's actively pushing my limits. Otherwise it's just living life.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I will only count it if it's major work. Otherwise, things can get pretty tedious as I try to log all my habits.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Yardwork yes, housework no. Regular shopping no, flea market walking yes! Big mall shopping, sometimes yes if we're spending the day walking around- just depends on the nature of the visit... lol. And no to food prep, etc... that cracks me up.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My husband and me have BodyMedia Fit Links. Everything we do is logged by the devices, whether it's formal exercise or pruning bushes. Then BodyMedia tells My Fitness Pal what we burned, MFP adjust our calories based on the calories burned and MFP tells BodyMedia what we ate.

The armbands take the guesswork out of what to log. :happy: