Soylent: Rob Reinhart & Never eating again

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    For a busy person, not a bad idea. He basically just made his own protein shakes.
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    very interesting concept actually, really like the take on world hunger, being mass produced like that could really bridge gaps. Would love to do it myself (the soylent) but nothing beats the feelings associated of biting into a juicy steak and cheese :noway:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Er, no. Food is more than the sum of it's parts, it's one of the first civilized endeavors that made us who we are, and I'm a chef and I'd be out of a job.:grumble:
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    there's a reason he's a skinny/scrawny guy....

I enjoy food. And I refuse to believe that the shake he is drinking is better than a diet filled with fruits and veggies........
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Er, no. Food is more than the sum of it's parts, it's one of the first civilized endeavors that made us who we are, and I'm a chef and I'd be out of a job.:grumble:

You would never be out of a job....many people prefer food. Food preparation and service provides art in many ways and a social outlet that cannot be replaced.
  • Nepion
    Nepion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see some studies done beyond the anecdotal, "I took this and it made me feel great!" If it stands up to rigorous scientific testing, then cool! But as it stands..... it's one more in a string of fads.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I'd like to see some studies done beyond the anecdotal, "I took this and it made me feel great!" If it stands up to rigorous scientific testing, then cool! But as it stands..... it's one more in a string of fads.

Exactly, I am curious how his body is functioning.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    From a scientific point of view, it makes sense. To your body nutrients is nutrients regardless of where you're getting it from. The fact that its liquid makes me think it should be too hard on your body to digest either (unlike capsules which are hard on your kidneys and liver).

I personally don't think many people would enjoy living like this. But i imagine it has potential to be useful under certain circumstances. For example, in places of famine (soylent is a lot cheaper than food), and even for the elderly, or persons with eating disorders that need to gain weight but have troubles stomaching proper meals.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I emailed him a few months back to sign up for his study. Never heard back. Hope he didn't die from existing on Soylent!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I actually wouldn't mind not having to think about food sometimes and just have some bachelor chow. I don't think only consuming soylent would be healthy though... there are a lot of nutrients in real food that aren't found in a multivitamin.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    The name alone makes me ill - naming his concoction after a cannabalistic food substitute is icky.

For people who need liquid nutrition there are already options available. There's really no need to create your own.