Question for those who cook with meat substitutes!

Options
I have been craving tacos lately. The homemade kind like only I can make for myself. But, I have been attempting to stay on a mostly vegetarian although occasionally pescatarian diet (i love sushi too much to give it up). But I'm definitely not eating red meat. I could use turkey, but I'd rather not. And I've never cooked with soy meat substitutes, tofu or tempeh.

Any suggestions on preparing tofu or other similar things for something like tacos to substitute for ground beef? And where's a good place to get it (Assuming whole foods/earth fare/etc)? What's a good "brand" or things to look for? I have access to places like Whole Foods so it shouldn't be a problem buying it...I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will work the way you cook but I generally just use lots of mushrooms for things like that rather than bother with substitutes. Of course I live in a country where there are no substitutes but I've found that I prefer it without them anyway. So I'd make tacos using lots of mushrooms and beans along with all the other stuff.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use lentils for taco "meat."
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Chick peas or black beans both work great - just add cumin or taco seasoning or whatever. If you want you can mash them up with a potato masher. I have also used a combo of corn and zucchini with taco seasoning and that also works great. I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes but instead of tofu I would use tempeh and basically chop it up and cook it with maybe salsa or taco seasoning since I think that would work a little better. If you wanted to use tofu I would use the firmest and cut it into thin strips or small cubes and pan fry with the seasoning but I don't think the texture of the tofu could pass as tacos for me. :flowerforyou:
  • Querian
    Options
    I use lentils for taco "meat."
    I've done this too and it is good :smile:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Morningstar farm crumbles. I haven't had them in a long time as I can't eat gluten, but you don't even need to bother cooking those, just microwave them. At the time I still was able to eat meat substitutes besides tofu, that was the best available. You may also like soy chorizo, which you can find at Earthfare or Trader Joes. You can really find mainstream stuff like Morningstar Farms crumbles in Targets and grocery stores. Enjoy!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i would just marinate some extra firm tofu in your fav. mexican marinade and seasonings,
    then cook it. could be in a pan with a little oil or baked. if you have a george foreman type grill you probably grill it too.

fish tacos are also fantastic made the same way or grill the fish.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Boca crumbles! Great for tacos or pasta sauce. Available in any grocery store, but a LOT cheaper if you have a Super Target nearby. In my city, Boca is $3 a package at Target, and something like $4.50-5.00 at Whole Foods or Marsh.

Morningstar Farms also does crumbles, but I don't like the texture as much as Boca. It will do fine, though, if you can't find Boca.
  • 19toots66
    19toots66 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the meat substitutes all the time. Look in the frozen section by the veggie burgers. I use the brand morning star. When making the taco meat, just add the spices to it and about half the water. I use it in soups, stuffed green peppers...just abotu everything.
  • Querian
    Options
    And if you are down with fish here are some fish taco recipes I totally love:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/grilled_fish_tacos.html

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/beer_battered_fish_tacos_with_tomato_avocado_salsa.html

The cole slaw that is included in the grilled fish taco recipe is the bomb and I make it with any and all fish tacos.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Smart Ground - just like ground beef, or you can make your own with dry TVP.
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information you all!! I would have never thought about mushrooms, but that actually sounds delicious. I LOVE MUSHROOMS!!

I know Moe's has tofu on their menu so I might go try it out and see what I think before I go buy any. And I might give the Boca crumbles a try to.

Lots of awesome info.

You guys rock.

I'm so having tacos this week :-D
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The best substitute for taco meat, in my opinion, is TVP (textured vegetable protein). You can find it in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. You simply mix the crumbles with water, spice it up, and then heat it up. Easy peasy.

The "meat" crumbles like smart ground and boca are fine too, but I don't really like them, they have a flavor already and it doesn't work for me (and they seem salty to me).

I don't use TVP in my tacos often though, not since I discovered that black beans drained and rinsed and mixed with some salsa and taco seasoning, warmed up, is really good on tacos (and less processed than a meat substitute). Plus, that leftover black bean and salsa mix is usable for so many other things (on chips, in burritos, just eaten out of a bowl warmed up, as a side, you name it!) I never waste a bit of it, I can't say the same for the meat substitutes I flavor for tacos, of that, whatever I don't eat meets the trash.
  • crissykclai
    Options
    I like to use lentils with cauliflower that I've grated. The lentils are hearty enough to be filling but mixed with the cauliflower and other veg they have a nice texture to them and bite. I also like to roast cubed potatoes in the oven with a little oil and taco seasoning. They are crispy and crunchy and I like to make a slaw with a bit of chipotle in adobo and veganaise.

As far as the meat substitutes they are really hit in miss when it comes to texture and taste, so I usually avoid them.

Just keep experimenting!

Crissy
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's by you, they have their own brand of crumbles. Its probably just re-packaged Boca or something, but it is very inexpensive. They also have savory baked tofu that might work if you prefer that. Enjoy your tacos!
  • Steph_123
    Steph_123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've made this tofu taco recipe before and it is actually really good, as in this is the only form of tofu I have ever gotten my extremely anti-vegetarian fiancee to eat. Basically make sure it is dry enough from cooking, and add spices to your liking and you're good to go :smile:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/vegetarian-tacos-spinach-corn-goat-cheese-00000000029612/index.html