am i doing something wrong?!

LaraeTX
LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
For the past week I have stayed at the exact same weight. Yesterday I was 150 under my calories plus I ran in my first 5K. By the
way that was a blast! So I get on the scale this morning expecting to see at least 1/2 loss, instead I gained 1 1/2 pounds!
I kniw all y'all out there know how frustraed I am about this! What else can I do! I'm still 22 pounds from my goal weight.

Replies

• krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Im sure you probably drank a lot of water yesterday for your race.....its just water weight...dont be discouraged. You will see a change in the scale in a day or so! congrats on running that race!
  • I think it is definately the water weight from hydrating for the race don't get frustrated you just completed a goal some of us dare to try. Nice job on your 5k!!!
  • skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    Congrats on the 5k!

I have been there too! If I don't see a loss over a certain period, I start to challenge EVERYTHING I am doing. Don't over think it and stay the course... This is a long journey but well worth it!
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    great work on your 5KM, is the 10km your next goal?

i know how you feel about hoping to see weight loss after you have worked your butt off, but i have found the same problem hoping to see the weight off the next day but i am either the same or have gained - like you did. but then it does come off a day or so later - be patient with it.

you should just be proud of yourself at the moment for your 5km run, and not worry too much about the pounds.
  • rello
    rello Posts: 9
    It may be that you have added muscle. Try taking measurement's, it can be a better motivator than the scales.
    Your weight on the scales can fluctuate so much due to water weight. The tape measure doesn't lie.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    When you really work your muscles hard, they retain a lot of water to help in the repair/muscle building process. Don't be discouraged! Great job on the 5k!!
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Hi! I think you might have reached a weight loss plateau. I like to save useful information in my blog. Have a look at this article, see if it will be helpful.:flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sunnysashka/view/do-not-get-discouraged-or-what-plateau-is-26549
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    Thanks for all the input and kind words! I'm gonna do a few 5K's and get my time to 30 minutes then my next goal will be a 10K. Good luck to everyone out there! Y'all are doing great!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    relax,this happens keep working away and you'll be fine,you could see alot come off together!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Don't get too frustrated. I find that after I've had a particularly hard workout I'm sometimes up a little - but it comes off within a day or two. Make sure that you're drinking lots of water and that you're eating enough.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Congrats on the 5K :)

You stated that you were 150 calories under your intake--besides the water intake and water weight--it may be that your body went into starvation mode and instead of burning calories off it stored them. This happens when you go under your calorie intake for the day.

When you work out your body needs more calories to function properly if less is used then your metabolism slows down...therefore you lose weight a lot slower.

Try eating a little more calories especially when working out so that your metabolism keeps up.
This discussion has been closed.