HRM & machine reading

Options
thendrick
thendrick Posts: 102 Member
I just found my Polar F7 watch (it's been missing for 2 weeks) and so I was excited to compare my new used Nordic Track elliptical calorie burn against my HRM. My HRM was pretty close to my old Body Break machine, so I really surprised when my HRM showed 291 today but the Nordic Track showed 409! And I know I was working my butt off today (30 minutes at level 3).
Are HRMs ever off for any reason?

Replies

• lhaycock
    lhaycock Posts: 17
    Options
    My sister had the F7 and it did not match up to her treadmill at all. I have a bodybugg which is the most accurate out there and yesterday after an 8 mile run my treadmill said 1203 calories but the bodybugg said 951, so I think the machines run a bit high. I would take the F7 reading and then if anything it might be low so you are getting more benefit than less but recording too much..Hope this helps.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are often very different than the readings the machine gives you. I'd trust the HRM is closer to the actual calorie burn than the machine...
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    T--When I am done doing 40 min on a gym-quality Life Fitness elliptical, it tells me I've burned over 500 calories--but my HRM reads more like 300-something. You cannot ever go by the machine readings....HRM is the only way to go.