All the weight I've lost, my boyfriend has gained?

Options
Okay ladies, this is a tough one. So, my boyfriend and I have been dating almost four years and I love him to bits. However, in these four years, I managed to lose 40 pounds, and he's... put on about 25. He was super skinny as a kid, and had some 'fluff' on him when we started dating, but he's only about an inch taller than me and weighs about 60 pounds more than I do, and since he quit playing sports it's really mainly fat. We don't have the finances to live together, so I can't really know exactly what he's eating all the time, nor can I control it, and I've gotta say it's really starting to bug me. I'm trying really hard to better myself to become the best me possible, and yet he's sitting on the couch all the time drinking juice and playing NFL with Reddit on his laptop for good measure. I don't want to think of myself as shallow, but God damnit, I just want his old body back! He also used to be a hell of a lot lazy before he left his job and graduated college. He loves my new body, and I... really am not a huge fan of his. I can outrun him!! He used to destroy me at the gym! What the Hell!

Anyway, from what I've seen, his diet pretty much consists of cheap and easy. Bacon, eggs, A LOT of processed breads, a ****ton of 'liquid calories' such as chocolate soymilk, juices, pop & alcohol, lots of processed bulk meats and the more-than-occasional takeout and fast food burger. He also has huge portions and eats at really weird times of the day because, again, he wakes up late and goes to bed late. because he's up watching TV. sigh.

It's getting super frustrating to have him just ignore my efforts and hints, and I don't know what more I can do! Halp!

Replies

• Claire_x90
    Options
    cook for him. he has to eat it to be polite yeah? and you can make it healthy :) besides may as well cook for two if you are cooking for one anyway.
  • Evebwahurn
    Evebwahurn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've tried!! He never likes what I cook for him because it's always chicken & veggies (my fault, I'm super picky and a terrible cook...) and when I do make something I know he'll like I tend to give him twice a normal portion... I guess I want to show him I love him by fattening him up? which is totally wrong!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Eventually, he will realize he needs to change.
  • odillehay
    odillehay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Invite him to work out with you! Tell him how good it makes you feel and encourage him to do it. I just recently got my fiance to start working out with me. He hasn't made it to MFP yet, but I have every intention of getting him here one day. :) Good luck!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    He is a redditor.. use reddit then! hehe. Post something there about this and he might get the hint ;)

give us the link and we will upvote you :drinker:
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just tell him straight up to lose some weight and get back in shape....we are guys, that is the best way to communicate with us

And if your worried about upsetting him with something like this, don't. Sometimes people need to be upset or shocked to make a change for the better
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This advice will be unpopular, but take it anyway.

Leave him. You've described a generalized apathy that likely goes well beyond his weight.

Also, you're 20. Don't wear a boat anchor on your life's on-ramp.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    Just tell him straight up to lose some weight and get back in shape....we are guys, that is the best way to communicate with us

And if your worried about upsetting him with something like this, don't. Sometimes people need to be upset or shocked to make a change for the better

I am not a guy just a 50 yr old woman with a husband and marriage older than dirt, and I was going to say the same thing! If after this many years of marriage I have learned anything about the male of the species, it is "Hints" subtle or any kind, Do Not Work!...Just say it, don't be mean or sarcastic...they do have feelings...even if it doesn't see so sometimes....but just keep it simple, and tell him:)
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    really, it's best to tell him straight-up.

tell him about how you loved his old body, wants his old attitude towards working out back.
    tell him what you said here - because unless he's willing to make changes, you are going to have to change something about this situation.

if he makes empty promises ("yes i'll work out" but never does), then it's time to reconsider why you're still with this dude.
    you're asking him to get to a healthy state for his own benefit as well as your own.

sure, it's hard work and it might be embarrassing for him to accept this truth, but get it out of the way and just hope that he understands enough to want to change as much as you do.
  • AskTheStorm
    Options
    All my guy friends gain weight when they're in long-term relationships. They don't really notice because they don't have to work as hard anymore since they have a girl already. I know this is a horrible attitude, but it's the truth. If they're in a steady place with a girl and she doesn't speak up, then they assume it's all right because she doesn't care. You can't lose the weight for him, so he'll have to lose it for himself. He's a man and can handle the truth so tell him what's on your mind straight-up--say it in a way to stroke his ego though somehow. Tell him to go lift weights or play basketball with his friends every other day or something. Perhaps you two can start spending time with each other while exercising: like riding bikes, swimming all day, hiking up-hill. I'm sure you can think of something fun :D
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    What keeps you together? You are not married and you don't live together. You are struggling with his gain of 25 lbs and he's really not on the same health and fitness track you're on, right? I can say from experience that life takes many turns... a few lbs weight gain or loss is really nothing. If that's enough to derail your relationship I think you should look at the reasons you're still seeing each other in the first place.

You are very young. This is the time to focus on you. This is the time to make decisions in life that you will live with forever... don't settle. The world is huge.

When I first got married I was thin, but I'd been fat before while my husband and I were dating and then living together. After we got married I got fat again with our first pregnancy. My husband got fat too... we had two beautiful babies together. He loved me both thin and fat. He loved me when we were both poor and when we had plenty of money as well. I got a chance to see what it really meant to be a wife when he fell from our 2nd storey balcony while repairing it. He broke ribs and collapsed a lung. I took care of him and helped him with stuff while he had to recover... recovery added a few more lbs. We went through job losses together and babies and other challenges... when our sons were 3 years old and 2 months old he was killed in an accident. Now I'm navigating a new marriage with a blended family and 5 kids between us. You will face far bigger problems than weight gain in this lifetime.

You either love your boyfriend through thick and thin, for who he is, exactly as he is today, or you don't. Not many are on exactly the same page as their partner/spouse at all times when it comes to health and fitness. He was attracted to you when you were 40 lbs heavier, right? Did he love you less then? Do you love him less now? Big questions.

But any relationship will be put to the test. This is the very smallest of tests. Truly. Think hard...
  • emcclore
    emcclore Posts: 38
    Options
    Definitely say something, especially being together for 4 years! If this is a serious relationship, meaning you two getting married, having kids etc. better to get in shape now rather later.... don't let his weight get in the way of why you love him! In the long run, he'll thank you for it!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    This advice will be unpopular, but take it anyway.

Leave him. You've described a generalized apathy that likely goes well beyond his weight.

Also, you're 20. Don't wear a boat anchor on your life's on-ramp.

I agree (except the last part, I got married when I was 21).

I don't think that what you've described is a good foundation for a healthy relationship.
  • hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What keeps you together? You are not married and you don't live together. You are struggling with his gain of 25 lbs and he's really not on the same health and fitness track you're on, right? I can say from experience that life takes many turns... a few lbs weight gain or loss is really nothing. If that's enough to derail your relationship I think you should look at the reasons you're still seeing each other in the first place.

You are very young. This is the time to focus on you. This is the time to make decisions in life that you will live with forever... don't settle. The world is huge.

When I first got married I was thin, but I'd been fat before while my husband and I were dating and then living together. After we got married I got fat again with our first pregnancy. My husband got fat too... we had two beautiful babies together. He loved me both thin and fat. He loved me when we were both poor and when we had plenty of money as well. I got a chance to see what it really meant to be a wife when he fell from our 2nd storey balcony while repairing it. He broke ribs and collapsed a lung. I took care of him and helped him with stuff while he had to recover... recovery added a few more lbs. We went through job losses together and babies and other challenges... when our sons were 3 years old and 2 months old he was killed in an accident. Now I'm navigating a new marriage with a blended family and 5 kids between us. You will face far bigger problems than weight gain in this lifetime.

You either love your boyfriend through thick and thin, for who he is, exactly as he is today, or you don't. Not many are on exactly the same page as their partner/spouse at all times when it comes to health and fitness. He was attracted to you when you were 40 lbs heavier, right? Did he love you less then? Do you love him less now? Big questions.

But any relationship will be put to the test. This is the very smallest of tests. Truly. Think hard...

^^^whoa, this! She put it perfectly.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I've lost over 30lbs in the last year and workout 5-6 times a week while working 30hrs a week, taking care of my 3 year old, cleaning/cooking/shopping/everything for the household/finances, and my husband is just putting on weight and complaining about it. I've tried telling him straight that I worry about him and I wish he would eat better, not just for vanity but because I want him around, and still he comes home from work -pigs out, sits on the couch, and waits for dinner. I hate it but I've found HE has to want it because before I committed to losing weight he would tell me stop complaining and do something about it if I was unhappy but I didn't until I got sick of being unhealthy.

I do what I can since I do the shopping and cooking. No soda in the house, cook as healthy as I can, and wait for summer so we can get outside. Other than that it's all him.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I don't know what to say. You are very strong, and I am happy that you are navigating a new marriage. Like you said, life takes many turns...

I 100% agree with the quotation above. There is more to a couple than weight loss and gain, and it does not really sound like this is the only source of discomfort that you are experiencing with him. You should talk to him.

When I started dating my boyfriend, we both put on a few (to put it gently for me!) more pounds. We're not as "thin" as we used to be, but we still love each other. A lot. Many of the people I know put on weight and work out less and less when they get in a relationship. They are more relaxed, they are happy and they eat whatever they want. They go out often at the movies or at the restaurant. It is normal.

My boyfriend is not on the same track as I am regarding fitness/health. He does not workout, and he eats a lot of junk food. Sometimes, I will suggest a healthier alternative to what he is craving, but I do not sweat it. It took a long time and a lot of frustration for me to finally want to change and eat better. He is supporting me, but I do not think it is in my right to impose my lifestyle on him if he is not interested in it. However, if he eventually wants to, I will be present all the way to support him.

It's more or less like smoking/drinking, right? Way less dramatic, of course, but you can't tell someone to change unless they really want to. It belongs to them to make that decision.

Good luck, keep us posted!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Does he have a job?
  • 1btipton2
    1btipton2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please read this because I really think it will help! The only reason I don't agree with the "leave him" advice is because we all go through lows in life. And reddit has a tendancy to suck in even the strongest of men ;) He might be a little depressed- hear me out: There is a lot of evidence out there that links weird hours/ night shifts to depression. He might not be "extremely" depressed, but out of balance, and just comfortable sticking to what he's doing.

My husband (married almost 2 years, together for almost 3 before that), used to work the night shift, and he exhibited the same laziness, the same apathy. Since he started working normal hours, and we've started down this road of bettering ourselves together, he doesn't exhibit any of this behavior. He was in a rut. My suggestion is this, either talk to him about it directly, as people have suggested above- or include him in your weight loss plan. Give him something to feel motivated and inspired, a little competition could be fun, especially if he previously played sports! 40 lbs is a huge loss, btw- so congrats!!!! If you have further weight loss or fitness goals, set up a little Biggest Loser thing together, and use date nights as cheat meals or rewards. If you go a couple weeks and see no change, you can push him, encourage him, tell him you know he can do more. When you do see a change, rub his arms legs whatever and let him know you can see the change. Get flirty with it. My husband's arms have really being doing amazing things and I find myself getting distracted and having to touch them, sometimes I go really over the top, just to make him laugh.... he loves it and I can tell it really motivates him.
  • locdin2motion
    Options

But any relationship will be put to the test. This is the very smallest of tests. Truly. Think hard.

All of this right here! Amennn! ..
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this! ^^ Sound advice~
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!