low sodium deli meats- do they exist?

2»

Replies

• I'm not sure if you have a whole foods near you, but in their service deli area they have store roasted turkey breast that they can slice for you and it has very little if no sodium. Very fresh tasting. However, it expires much faster.

Salt is part of what preserves deli meat.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I prefer Sara Lee brand deli meats, I also have gotten the Castlewood brand to from Sam's club.... but I don't concern myself with sodium, never track a single gram of it and have lost a few pounds. I just make sure I get in my 100+ oz. of water a day and call it even... matter of fact excuse me while I go make me a Sara Lee Honey Roasted Turkey sandwich....... Best of Luck
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    I live in Western Massachusetts and have been asking this same question for years. I find that all deli meats, even the low sodium ones, are too high in sodium content for my liking. A friend out in Boston recommended to me that I try Old Neighborhood Foods. They are based out of Boston and have a Sister company, Thin 'N Trim. I've compared all the numbers against other brands and they are by far the healthiest deli meat out there. Only problem is that there products are tough to find outside of the Northeast. I know they are trying to branch out, but it could take awhile as they grow. You best bet would be to write to them and express the demand for their product in your area! also express your want for this product at your local grocer.

Hope this helps!

Smells like a shill...
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    there are alot of deli meats with a low sodium label. but why are you so concerned? sodium isnt bad for you.

This. unless you have high blood pressure problems, the worst a little extra sodium will do to you is make you bloat a little. Which, if you're staying as hydrated like you should, should go away in a day or so.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    I make my own so I can season myself and never worry about the added crap. Also don't have to deal with crappy quality meat. I take 2 chicken breasts and season however I want. Rub a tiny bit of olive oil on top and cover with foil. Put in oven at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Pull it out and check if its done, If so cover it again and let it cool down, refrigerate over night. You can slice it in the morning and if you're looking for thin slices it's best to put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes before slicing.