Waxing VS Sugaring

Options
So I was gonna sugar my legs tonight for the first time. Was wondering what your experience was with waxing and/or sugaring. Im gonna make my own because it is cheaper lol. What areas have you waxed/sugared? I want to eventually do my arms, legs, bikini and possibly my face.

Replies

• LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have had my upper legs and bikini area sugared and waxed. They are both equally uncomfortable, but I think sugaring lasts longer. I have it done professionally though mostly out of laziness.
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    I want to go get it done professionally but I dont have the money. Tried to get my bf to be the one who yanks the strips off but he chickened out. I know it is gonna hurt.. But I'm sick of having to shave every other day. How long did each last?
  • Sandraleigh87
    Sandraleigh87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What is sugaring?
  • allikat93
    Options
    Sugaring is basically using a honey/sugar/water mix that is boiled down into a wax texture product and using it like wax to wax your legs. It is suppose to be more gentle then waxing.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I have never tried sugaring, but waxing is unpleasant so if it is supposedly better give it a shot?
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    They both involve ripping the hair out of the follicles, so the length that it lasts really is about the same. The big difference? Waxing involves chemical ingredients and can thus be a bit more harsh on the skin while sugaring is a bit more gentle (and edible).
  • kailexx
    kailexx Posts: 197
    Options
    i'm intrigued about sugaring.. I haven't waxed in years since the first few times I did it the pain scarred me, but i've been considering trying it again.. i think i'll go straight to sugaring to give it a shot..
  • Einahhh
    Einahhh Posts: 139
    Options
    My advice is to thoroughly test whatever you're doing before you use it on your face :P
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I used to sugar my legs (only stopped now that I'm in college without access to a stove to boil the sugar.) It's really awesome and lasts weeks and weeks, it only takes a little while once you get fast at it, and honestly it hurts less after the first time (it's less painful than the equivalent of, say, period cramps compiled into one hour...lol). Wish I still could. Don't use chemical hair removal, I have some horrifying stories about it from my laboratory but I'm not really allowed to share them, because research is usually top-secret and all. :tongue:
  • allikat93
    Options
    I used to sugar my legs (only stopped now that I'm in college without access to a stove to boil the sugar.) It's really awesome and lasts weeks and weeks, it only takes a little while once you get fast at it, and honestly it hurts less after the first time (it's less painful than the equivalent of, say, period cramps compiled into one hour...lol). Wish I still could. Don't use chemical hair removal, I have some horrifying stories about it from my laboratory but I'm not really allowed to share them, because research is usually top-secret and all. :tongue:

Rofl. I made the mistake of trying Nair for Bikini area. It hurt sooo bad and didnt do a damned thing.
  • allikat93
    Options
    My advice is to thoroughly test whatever you're doing before you use it on your face :P

Oh yes lol. My face shall be the last thing I sugar.. If I even do it at all. Im really indecisive about that because I've heard that once you start, you have to continue because it comes back worse?
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Best thing about it is if you mess up you just put the hot shower on it and it comes right off. Wax you end up scraping and peeling and destroying your skin.

I've done my legs and arms with sugar. It's really good and quite fun to do but too time consuming and messy for me. I have to keep running back and forth to the microwave to heat it up like three or four times. And by the time all the hair is out the mixture gets truely disgusting, lol.

i wouldn't recommend bikini line unless you are lucky to have fine hair and tough skin.
  • helen195
    helen195 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have had my legs and bikini line waxed for years, now do it my self using the wax strips, they are so easy to use! Did get my under arms wax, but that is really really really really painfull, tried to it myselft once and never tried again!

I also have a epilator which I use, not messy, hurts a bit, but so much easier.

Just remember not to do it at just before, during or just after you monthly as you are more sensitive which makes it hurt more!
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I also have a epilator which I use, not messy, hurts a bit, but so much easier.

Same. After so many attempts at waxing and making a huge mess and only having semi-okay results, I finally got an epilator. My legs are really sensitive, so shaving is really painful and that pain lasts for days. The pain of using an epilator lasts for a few seconds!
    That's the reason why I tried waxing all the time, but I never went to get it professionally done (I never go anywhere if I think I can do something myself. Even if I suck at doing it myself, ha.) so it was so messy and a long process and yeah, I'm not a big fan of the process.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've had waxing and sugaring done in a very sensitive area. I didn't do it myself. I have a high tolerance for pain, but I will say when the sugaring was done, I had tears in my eyes. Maybe it was the person doing it, but she applied the sugar mixture against the growth direction of the hair in 2"x2" areas, which was very painful and then ripped it out. It was 40 minutes of pure torture.

I'll stick with waxing. If you get it done professionally and regularly, the hair grows back in much finer and much more slowly.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Rofl. I made the mistake of trying Nair for Bikini area. It hurt sooo bad and didnt do a damned thing.

The same thing happened to me but on my legs. Nair burned and burned and burrrrrrrned and I was practically crying, and when I finally scraped the stupid crap off my hair was still there! :cry:
  • Ramberta
    Options
    The only place I have had waxed is my eyebrows, and considering how wussy I felt during THAT, I would never be brave enough to try other more sensitive areas of my body.

Call me a dirty liberal hippie but I think that women are too obsessed with removing their body hair. I shave every now and again, in my armpits and my ladyparts because the hair starts to ehm... capture odor... but I never shave my legs any more. I go out in public in knee-length dresses and I'm pretty sure no one even notices. And if they do, who cares?

I refuse to uphold the notion that to be considered "beautiful" a woman has to put herself through what a lot of posters on this thread have described as "torture", haha. To each their own, but I choose not to participate!
  • allikat93
    Options
    The only place I have had waxed is my eyebrows, and considering how wussy I felt during THAT, I would never be brave enough to try other more sensitive areas of my body.

Call me a dirty liberal hippie but I think that women are too obsessed with removing their body hair. I shave every now and again, in my armpits and my ladyparts because the hair starts to ehm... capture odor... but I never shave my legs any more. I go out in public in knee-length dresses and I'm pretty sure no one even notices. And if they do, who cares?

I refuse to uphold the notion that to be considered "beautiful" a woman has to put herself through what a lot of posters on this thread have described as "torture", haha. To each their own, but I choose not to participate!

Well said. For me though, I feel much better with nice smooth skin. Love the hair in the winter for warmth, but the rest of the year I feel grimy if I dont shave.
  • Ramberta
    Options

Well said. For me though, I feel much better with nice smooth skin. Love the hair in the winter for warmth, but the rest of the year I feel grimy if I dont shave.

I love smooth legs too, but until they invent an easier, cheaper, and more skin-friendly way to do it than the current methods, I say no thank you :tongue:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It is time for me to rid my winter coat, so maybe I will try sugaring my legs...

Also, the hair growing back thicker/darker thing is an old wives' tale.