Adjusting to MFP regime

Options
Hi - I just started the MFP a few days ago and really, I am trying to adjust to the drastic calories reduction here....Just curious - how long did it take you to get all this food/drinks intakes figured out and get with the groove with it?

I mean like last night for instance, I was at a barn party and I swear to Bono - I thought I got the calories under control until I started logging in my intake in my dairy and I blew it - big time....Two Mike's Hard drinks was almost 500 calories - jeez!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food. Every weekend I make a plan for the next 7 days that meet my calorie and macro goals, and I eat only what's on those plans. If I tried to log food after eating it, I would never reach my goals because my calories and macros would be all messed up.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal set at? Just curious.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Been doing this for almost two months and still slip up on my macros from time to time. Especially sodium, since I have high blood pressure. Everybody makes those mistakes, it's part of the learning process. Once you have a better idea of how much the things you eat and enjoy are, you'll learn to make room for them.

I for one, eat as healthy, filling low cal meals as I can. So I can snack some or have dessert if I want. You'll find what works for you. Remember you're making a lifestyle change, so it's expected it'll take you a little while to figure out how you can eat for the rest of your life.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's why it's important to check how many calories your food is worth before eating it. Planning ahead is a great idea.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Took me about three weeks to get settled in with what I could and couldn't eat. I don't drink tho so it was probably easier. Beware, mfp is notorious for giving women too low of a goal. 1200 is basically the default but it's much too low for 98% of women
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    1200 is basically the default but it's much too low for 98% of women

Yah, seriously! It set me at 1260 and I have that in 2 meals, lol. I'm so much happier eating 1775+ calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It honestly took me about 2 months before I felt like I had this thing down to a routine, and it was hard work!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into other sites to figure out how much you need to be eating (more than 1200, basically) and don't try to lose more than a pound a week and you should be in a better boat than you are now.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    1200 is basically the default but it's much too low for 98% of women

Yah, seriously! It set me at 1260 and I have that in 2 meals, lol. I'm so much happier eating 1775+ calories.

yeah I find that when I'm off contraception (TMI) I can live off 1200 alright, eat more when exercising of course. But the moment I am on the hormone train I want to eat everything around me i.e. 24/7, so I try to get in some exercise every day and have increased my net to 1400. Weekends I let it slip a bit but meh, I am young and want to live!
  • hollyanneu2
    Options
    Took me about three weeks to get settled in with what I could and couldn't eat. I don't drink tho so it was probably easier. Beware, mfp is notorious for giving women too low of a goal. 1200 is basically the default but it's much too low for 98% of women

ugh - you gotta be kidding me??!!....soooo where do I find for accurate calorie intake I should be taking? Right now MFP set me up for 1240 calories.....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

ugh - you gotta be kidding me??!!....soooo where do I find for accurate calorie intake I should be taking? Right now MFP set me up for 1240 calories.....

Try this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

It's a very simple explanation.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Try this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

It's a very simple explanation.

this^
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals in advance, I check the calories before I eat something, I also make sure my snacks are low calories so I have more calories left over for the bigger meals. The first week is the hardest I wasn't as organised or eating the right foods and I was hungry most of the time. The fact that I was a serial snacker didn't help as it is a moderately difficult habit to break. One more thing don't waste your calories on sugary drinks, stick to water and you will be able to eat more nutrious food and not feel deprived.
    I have been logging for two weeks and it's part of life now.

Good luck on your journey!