Houston, I've a problem!

Options
2»

Replies

• AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about eating based on your TDEE - 20%. If you are not sure what your TDEE is you can google it and you will see hundreds of websites that will calculate it for you. Minus 20% from your TDEE, this will give you a good amount of cals to eat and hopefully produce a steady fat loss. You may find it a bit more gentle than only eating 1500 calories a day.

Though I workout 3 times a week, I calculated for 'sedentary lifestyle'. Calculations show 1500. Hence I stick to that figure. I hover around that figure on any given day.

What height are you?

Ht - 1.73M
    Wt - 81.3 KG (~179 lb)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Have you thought about eating based on your TDEE - 20%. If you are not sure what your TDEE is you can google it and you will see hundreds of websites that will calculate it for you. Minus 20% from your TDEE, this will give you a good amount of cals to eat and hopefully produce a steady fat loss. You may find it a bit more gentle than only eating 1500 calories a day.

Though I workout 3 times a week, I calculated for 'sedentary lifestyle'. Calculations show 1500. Hence I stick to that figure. I hover around that figure on any given day.

What height are you?

Ht - 1.73M
    Wt - 81.3 KG (~179 lb)

Try popping your stats in this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I just ran your stats, using 1-3 hours exercise a week (which you said you did) and it recommends you eat 2009 at a 20% reduction from your TDEE. Even your BMR is 1827 based on their calculations. Eating under your BMR isn't a great thing to do long term. It could lead to losing lean muscle. Not cool.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    For a 'sedentary lifestyle' setting and exercising regularly, you should be eating back some (if not all) of your exercise calories.

You're already aware that Indian food, cooked by Indians, doesn't lend itself to calculating nutritional values easily as a large majority of the raw ingredients are simply not available on the various nutritional databases available on the Internet.

I would in the first instance try eating back your exercise calories, using your current setting on MFP for at least 2-4 weeks. Failing that, look at possibility of the TDEE minus a percentage route. One of the informative threads to read on that is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 which includes the definitions of the terms and how the calculations are made to determine your limits using the method.

All the best!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You haven't been eating enough for sure which is why you have hit a plateau. See here to work out what to eat and be sure to pick the CORRECT activity level not just picking the low ones if that is not what you are infact doing or you'll stay stuck on a plateau for longer.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    @sexymuffintop - Hmm.. yeah, will increase my cal intake and see if it helps me break my plateau.

@Kendra - True. Indian foods are quite confusing. Guestimating is my best way out.

@mockchoc - thanks! will take a look at it.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    True. Indian foods are quite confusing. Guestimating is my best way out.
    Look into what's been suggested and try what suits you, but don't chop and change too quickly, else it'll do you more harm than good and the results will be discouraging. Also there are some good posts already on the subject of Indian food on the Indian Weight Watch group as you know
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    Increase your calories man but dont just eat anything. Track your protein,fats,carbs and emphasis on fiber. Dont mix high fats and high carbs one or the other never both. Keep protein adequate. If you still need 500 calories for the day but have already reached your carb and fats goal for the day but are short on protein then eat just protein (chicken breast, tuna, egg whites, whey, tilapia)
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    @ Kendra - yeah. I don't want to take it blindly. Just wanted to see where all I possibly missed. I got a few good ideas. Will have to try one by one.

@Mike - Yeah, I get it. Let me rework on this.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out. That's really the best advice I can give you. Just see what happens next week and the week after. I very much doubt you gained 1 kg of fat in the last week, nor muscle. So that leaves some water weight (4L a day?! That's crazy much), some extra stuff in your intestines, and maybe you stood at a slightly different point of the scale or moved the scale.

I've actually taped a square on the floor where the scale goes, and on the scale taped the exact location where my feet should be because just moving that about can give a pound difference.

To summarize, you've not gained an actual kilo over the week, just impossible, so ignore it as a false reading and see what it says next week.

This. My roommates will go in the restroom and use my scale and if they move it even an inch from where I have it next time I weigh in it will show gains/losses up to 2 lbs. I have to keep it in the exact same spot all the time to get an accurate reading. That said I'd also had the rapid fluctuation thing happen too, and in my case it's usually that I am retaining water because I slacked off on my water intake the day before or I ate salty food, or I had an alcoholic beverage which will without fail cause me to gain 1-2 lbs. I think it's due to the dehydrating effect, and not the caloric intake however.

I wouldn't worry too much though, it is almost certainly a temporary water gain.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    what about calories?????????
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    water retention - may be. I am not sure. I have to check that again next week and validate that theory. :)
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    You got this! Keep on trucking brother, dont let up