'You don't need to lose weight' NOT ENCOURAGING!

Options
2»

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but maybe they're trying to be nice.

Regardless, people are going to have opinions, and if you don't want to hear them, I'd stop talking about your goals to those people. Just focus on what you're trying to achieve.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you focused on words other than 'thin' and 'dieting' - others would understand better (not only that - but it would make it a more healthy goal for you too, mentally.

Instead of 'dieting' - why not say you are trying to eat healthy, nutritiously, eat more organically, get more protein in, get more healthy fats in, eat more healthily to fuel your workouts (whatever your thing is)

Instead of saying you want to get 'thin' - why not say you are aiming to be stronger, reducing your body fat percentage, you are increasing your fitness levels to become fantastic at running, zumba, weight training (whatever), you are aiming to get fit and healthy and more active.

These are ideals that make it more of a worthwhile goal, a healthy and positive goal, and things that no one can really argue with. People can argue why you shouldn't be aiming to get 'thin', but can you imagine someone arguing with you that you shouldn't be trying to get more 'healthy' or 'fit' or 'strong'?

^ This exactly.

Agreed but even if you are top of healthy 10kg sounds like a lot to lose

Do you mean that losing 10 kg might be unhealthy for her, or that it just sounds like a lot to most people and that is what they are reacting to?

Because if it's the first, losing 20 lbs (~9 kg) took me from the very top of the healthy weight range to squarely in the middle. I'm still looking to decrease my %BF, so still cutting.

If it's the second, I agree. I didn't believe I had 20 lbs to lose until I looked up the healthy weight range for me. And neither did anybody else.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Stop telling people that you are on a diet and that you are aiming for a certain size. Don't bring it up. If food & exercise come up in conversation, don't go overboard in what you say. Just say that you are trying to eat better & be fit. That's all. I know there will be certain close friends & family who will push you at times, but this can still work to some degree.

If it annoys you then stop talking about it. Likely it is just people trying to tell you that you look good since most people diet when they feel like they are fat.

If you put it out there then you need to be ready for people to respond either way - supporting you or telling you that you already look good and don't need to diet. (Besides other than good-luck anything supportive could come across as indicating that they do think you need to lose weight and so they think you are fat - it is a no win situation for other people when you tell them and expect them to respond)