Figs

Options
Ejwelton
Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
Hi All,

I really want to try figs and bought some on offer this week.

Can anyone help on the best way to prepare and eat them?

Do you eat the skins?
Are they best raw or baked, or as part of a recipe?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Replies

• mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I prefer to peel them. I also prefer them cooked. I make a compote just by heating them with a bit of orange juice a tiny bit of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I stir this though Greek yogurt or on porridge or I have been known to use it as a filling for a Victoria sponge cake instead of jam. You can roast them and eat with cheese and ham too. I'll see what other ideas you get as I have fig trees in my garden.
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted with the skin on, you can eat them with anything really. They are very nice with honey and yoghurt like Mrsnecincy said.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love them raw and eat the peel. :smile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat the peel, but its optional. I like to have them with Dolcelatte cheese and salad.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think the skin on the black ones is thinner. It's so thin I wouldn't bother peeling the little that is there and most vitamins are under the skin with fruit and veggies! I just chop the stem off and eat it. Beautiful!
  • Harold76
    Harold76 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I usually get the dried turkish figs and eat them the whole (minus the stem). Awesome stuff.
  • spbabu
    spbabu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cut in half length-wise. Keep the peel on. Take a small piece of bacon, and put on top. Roast in the oven (use broiler to make bacon crispy at the end) and enjoy the sweet/salty combo.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I did this one without the pistachios

Honey-roast figs
    This baked fig dessert recipe with honey and pistachio nuts is delicious, the warm sweet figs are a lovely contrast with the sharp Greek yogurt. The nuts give it an interesting texture and the orange is subtle but brings all the flavors together. I really enjoyed this dish and think its set to become a favourite dessert that I'll make over again. The recipe comes from Waitrose, I substituted the butter for low fat spread but otherwise followed the original recipe.

Serves: 2

ProPoints: approx 4 per serving

4 x fresh figs
    2 teaspoons honey
    2 teaspoons low fat spread
    10 pistachios, unsalted
    1/2 orange zest and juice
    4 tablespoons 0% fat Greek yogurt

Preheat the oven to 200 c / 180 c fan. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the figs in half and lay on the baking sheet face up. Divide the low fat spread between the 4 fig halves, drizzle with the honey and grate over the orange zest. Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes.

Mix the fresh orange juice into the Greek yogurt and spoon into two bowls. Arrange the figs on top and sprinkle with chopped pistachios. If you have any left over honey and fig juice on the tray, pour this over the figs. Serve.