Labor Day Weekend: 5K Challenge

Options
I would like a challenge to anyone on MFP do a 5k race on Labor Day weekend. That is 16 weeks from today, so I feel like that is a completely doable goal. I am by no means a runner now. I have trouble running for one solid minute. Running has always been my white wale, and I am determined to defeat it.

My mother and I have committed to do the Callaway Gardens 5K Run on Sunday, September 5th. If there is anyone else in GA we would love to have you join us. Everyone else I challenge you to commit to run a 5k race in your respective cities. Lets do this thing!

Replies

• shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I can't do one on Labor Day weekend because I am working that weekend, but I did just sign up for one on Sept 11th and it will be my first 5K, I am soooo excited!! We can do this!
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    That's great, we can give each other encouragement!
  • Fayegill
    Fayegill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in - I'll start looking for a run today.
  • belldandy1
    Options
    I'm in - I'll start looking for a run today.

Awesome!
  • sarahspeace
    sarahspeace Posts: 19
    Options
    nice! i wasn't even able to jog for a minute 5 weeks ago, but i've been following the couch-to5k-program and now i can jog for 5 minutes straight! never thought it was possible, but i'm building my endurance each week. this is a 9-week program that prepares u for a 5k, altho i keep thinkin it will take me a lil longer to be totally prepared to run an entire 5k! but each week i can run a lil farther than the week before, so we'll see... if you're interested in checkin it out, go to http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and good luck! :o)
  • belldandy1
    Options
    I figure we can use this thread to update each other on our progress each week! Thanks guys!
  • belldandy1
    Options
    Come on people!! I would really like to get some more people to commit to this challenge. The race you do doesn't necessarily have to be on labor day weekend. Lets say around that time, like two weeks before or after. It'll be fun!
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    This will be great! I have been wanting to do the couch to 5K program so this will be a perfect time to start!! I am a little scared that I want be able to do it though!
  • belldandy1
    Options
    This will be great! I have been wanting to do the couch to 5K program so this will be a perfect time to start!! I am a little scared that I want be able to do it though!

I tried it, and i honestly couldn't do it I just was out of breath the whole time. This made me feel pathetic since it is a beginners program, and I gave up. Now I realize that it doesn't matter where I am now only where I will be in the future. This time I am planning to do four weeks of pre- Couch to 5 K plan (kind of sad). I will am planning on walking 3 miles with bursts of running until I feel like I can run no more (which is a pathetically short time for me). Every time i run I will try to add an extra burst. Today I did four Tuesday I will aim for 5 or 6.

You will probably be fine doing couch 2 5K though. Most people don't seem to have a problem with it. I am just that bad at running. Good Luck
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks you! I am going to start it today!
  • belldandy1
    Options
    Anybody else interested?
  • belldandy1
    Options
    My walk/ run went pretty well today. I added an extra burst of running. Sometimes I feel pathetic when I see people that are way heavier jogging along with no problem, for whatever reason I have weak lungs. I am not going to let it discourage me this time though. Eventually, I will be able to run for 3 miles straight. I keep telling myself that.

Anyhow, how is everyone else doing in their training? Good luck! I know that we can do this!
  • belldandy1
    Options
    This humidity in Georgia is absolutely killing me. On the rare days when the humidity is lower, it is like running on a different planet. I can run twice as long. It is frustrating, makes me want to move to the desert.