Calf Pain-Runners please help!!!

Options
I have been running for several months now (and years on and off) and am currently training for a 10k and a half marathon.
I run 3x a week, use the elliptical/stationary bike 2x a week, and weight train once per week.
I also have a very active job where I am on my feet all day.

Lately, I have been having a lot of muscle soreness on the inside of one calf. No matter how I try to stretch it, it doesn't seem to improve. Several years ago I had a severe case of Achilles tendonitis, so I am nervous about that, but this doesn't seem to be the same area.

Any idea what could be causing this? Suggestions for stretches/treatment/ect to make it go away?

I run in the same style of sneakers that I've had for over a year (replacing pairs as they've been worn out), that I like a lot and can afford, so I'd really like to avoid getting fitted for expensive shoes if possible-I know that will be the first response, haha.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this applies, but when I started running I pushed a little too far, too fast and started having some calf pain. I finally had to take a few days off from running and just walked instead. It finally settled down and I was able to start running again. In my opinion, once a muscle is pulled/sore, stretching won't make it better....the damage is done. Stretching will prevent it, but not much for fixing it.

BTW...I wouldn't blame it on your shoes either. Maybe something changed in your form, but it wasn't because of your shoes.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If it's not the shoes, you probably have some ligament or muscle inflammation from over training. I would rest up for a couple days and see if it resolves.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    I started developing calf pain after putting in about 100 miles on my old pair of shoes.
    I first thought I was running too much, too hard. But after replacing with new pair of shoes, calf pain eases.

Also, I found that my running form was putting too much stress on my calves. They actually grew stronger/bigger after running for couple months. I tried to adjust my running form to reduce impact on landing and thus reduces stress on calves and shin. (land on mid foot, then roll to ball)

Since then, I don't have calf pain anymore.
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I haven't significantly increased training recently, but maybe I did pull something and rest will help.

I do try to be aware of my running form, so I'll keep working on that too.

It's mild pain, nothing severe, so its hard for me to treat it like an injury since I don't want to rest because I want to keep training!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Have you tried compression sleeves? My right calf (medial soleus and anterior tibialis to be specific) was acting up recently... not horribly painful, but bad enough for me to know that I probably shouldn't try to run through it. I went out and got a compression sleeve and I basically have no symptoms when I'm wearing it. I still ice and stretch and foam roll and all that. I can't speak for the long term wisdom of this strategy, but so far the results have been encouraging and it's allowed me to keep running.