Unsure how to make a meal?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for meals and snacks that will help you feel full for a long time. I'm extraordinarily picky and don't eat a lot of different foods but I want to try and add more variety into my diet.. Just don't know where to begin.

I used to only eat Smartfood popcorn, pasta and candy, then I ate a lot of frozen meals such as lean cuisine and stuff like that. Now I eat more actual food? like vegetables and pasta? lol. I've started to buy more frozen vegetables and fruits as well as fresh but I just don't know how to make a proper meal without trying to microwave everything.. I'll go eat some corn or something at 4 and go and eat some blueberries at 6.and continue doing that all day and well... ain't nobody got time for dat ;)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I have found that eating pasta at lunch just makes me hungrier and tired, so I've switched to mostly salads with high-protein. I do 3-4 cups salad greens, some chopped veggies with vinegar(celery, cucumber, bell pepper, onion carrot), 1/4 large avocado, and tuna salad(2 cans tuna, one hard boiled egg, , and 3 tbs hummus--this makes 3 servings) I prep on Sunday for 3 lunches during the week. Pair the salad with a cheese stick or some almonds and you've got a great 300 calorie lunch.
    Breakfast--egg whites with mushrooms,1/2 grapefruit, and toast; banana with almond butter and toast; cereal with soymilk and banana (I usually keep breakfast to 300 calories as well, including coffee with soymilk)
    Dinner- protein like chicken or lean beef, pasta or rice or potato(I save the carby stuff for dinner), veggies like squash, broccoli, mixed veg, greens.
    Snacks: fruit with almonds or cheese stick, protein bar or shake (under 200 calories)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Veggies are super easy. Just throw them in boiling water. Same with pasta. Seriously I'm a horrible cook and I can still do that, hah.

Do salads. Or get a crockpot.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    As I usually just cook for myself I never like to take long cooking in the evenings so I'll often have something like an omelette with steamed veggies.

Also, do you have access to a slow cooker? They are cheap to pick up if not and a worthwhile investment - I tend to cook up stews chock full of veggies and pulses at the weekend, which makes enough to last through the week. A quick reheat and I've got a healthy 'ready meal' when I get home from work and don't want to cook. Any surplus portions go in the freezer so I don't have to eat the same thing every day all week!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Buy some cookbooks, take a class, or ask your mom or grand mother to help, and learn to cook. It will make taking care of yourself much easier, and it's something you can do now that will continue benefitting you for life.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    You and a couple of your friends should all get together one night and create meals. Each person can come up with somethign different and that will give everyone ideas! Grab a cook book and figure something out to get you all started. it would be super fun and a way to learn.

Not everyone has a steamer but instead of microwaving your veggies, you can boil them on medium heat in water on the stove. I dont have a steamer but i have a metal strainer so ill put that on top of a medium sized pot of boiling water and steam my veggies that way (with a lid covering it) to save all of its nutrients. I mean, you just have to be creative. Everyone can cook, its just all about the imagination.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    I broil big batches of chicken breasts, and then just put them in a ziploc bag in the fridge. I also love my rice cooker. Mine is a pretty simple inexpensive one, but it does the trick. With the chicken and rice I make tex mex style bowls (enchilada sauce, lf cheese) or various healthy versions of chinese takeout (add sauce and some veg) or italian (spaghetti sauce, grated cheese). The chicken also works great on a salad, or in chicken salad. I've become a very big fan of the individually wrapped sweet potatoes that you can put in the microwave, and the frozen veg that you can steam right in the bag are great too.
    That being said, there's no magic to the traditional idea of a "meal"....if what you like is vegetables and string cheese, or an apple and peanut butter, or yogurt and almonds, then that's OK. I think the biggest helpful discovery I made is that I need to figure out things that I like that fit my macros -- not follow someone else's "plan". But you do need to incorporate some protein....the things you list all seem to be various carbohydrates (and I'm not an anti-carb person)....
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Yes, I do eat a lot of carbs, as well as sugar lol. We just purchased a rice and vegetable steamer on the weekend (which I'll have to learn how to use). We also has a crock pot in the past but I think it went in the trash because no one in my home used it. You have some really awesome ideas! My idea of a meal was something that incorporated each of the food groups I suppose or most (because that's what I thought it was).

I also seen people talking a little bit on the forum about adding complex carbs into your diet?
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    I like things super simple. I'm hopeless when it comes to putting a meal together. I've just gotten really good at cooking the basics and I'm fine with that.

I have a rice cooker. I just load it up every night and eat the rice throughout the day. My family eats it more than I do nowadays, though.

I boil huge batches of beans and lentils at once, then just take them out of the fridge as necessary.

Keep fruit handy. Peel and eat, super easy. Nuts are even easier.

Veggies- buy bags of frozen kale/spinach. Just boil them for a few minutes, drain and top with salt and sesame seeds.

Get some romaine hearts, they usually come in a package of three. Wash and dry them all at once and keep them in a tub. Grab a handful for easy salad. Add avocado slices, sun dried tomatoes, cucumber slices, lemon juice, bean sprouts, etc. to make it tasty. I never bother with dressing.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    get another crockpot and USE IT - it is a great way of cooking everything at once with minimal fat, and you can turn cheap cuts of meat into something yummy.

There's nothing wrong with microwaving frozen veg. You might want to get a wok and practise a few stir-fries. Don't get lots of sticky sauces, you can get a few nice veggies (peppers, onions etc.) and mayeb some bean sprouts, slice some chicken or pork finely and throw it all in with a tny bit of oil and some soy sauce.

If you can get it, Usborne used to publish a book called "the beginners cook book" which had loads of great recipes (including cake! Shhhh!) which were simple to prepare. All with diagrams and ncie pictures so you know exactly what to do. Or check out Youtube for some Delia Smith video demos.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Yeah I'm completely lost when it comes to cooking. At least that's how I felt at the beginning. Now my family is saying that I'm actually pretty good. Which is weird cuz I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing. I just put things together in a way that kinda makes sense to ME, which doesn't necessarily mean it's RIGHT, and just y'know.... See what happens. And if it's a total failure. Okay. Try again later. :P

Things I started with:

SANDWICHES - I can make a sandwich. Get some turkey and cheese and mayo or mustard up in here on like a whole wheat wrap or something. Maybe some avocado?? Maybe some hummus??? I dunno, go crazy. :P

EGGS - I can make eggs. You crack da eggs, you put dem in da frying pan... BAM meal. woo! Hey maybe get some meat in there too like deli ham? Hey maybe put some veggies in there? I dunno. Whatever. OH y'kno what I did? I bought some hash brown patties and put them in there. Broke 'em all up - easy peazy. Now you have potatoes in your eggs. Bam.

TUNA - Tuna from a can or tuna from a packet - same deal. Get da tuna. Put it ina bowl. Mix with mayo or mustard or both. I like also mixing it with sweet relish. Then put it in a whole wheat wrap or on whole wheat bread and throw maybe some cheese on there or maybe some baby spinach? Sure, okay. Or if you don't have any of that just eat it straight with a fork. :P

PROTEIN SHAKES - These are super filling and super easy. All you need is a blender. I put a banana, Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, a cup of milk (either skim milk or almond milk, whatever), and a scoop of generic chocolate protein powder, MAYBE a bit of baby spinach if I have it. And BAM. Filling meal, packed with protein.

GENERIC MEXICAN STUFF: I get like, canned black beans, and canned corn and cheese and put the whole shebang into a whole wheat wrap and microwave it, then maybe put some avocado, sour cream and salsa up in there. Bam. Mexican deliciousness.

MORE ADVANCED STUFF:

BROWN SOME LEAN GROUND BEEF: You buy the beef. You put it in a frying pan. You turn on the heat. You hack at it with a wooden spoon until the whole thing is all chopped up and is all brown and not red anywhere. Then do stuff with it. Maybe put it in your tacos. Maybe add a thing of spaghetti sauce and MAGIC you can have meat sauce spaghetti. I dunno. I don't do this too often.

COOK SOME CHICKEN: I do THIS all the time. Cuz deli meat is usually pretty high in sodium, so this is a good alternative. I buy the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, usually the ones that say things like "cage free" or "no hormones" or "vegetarian fed" or whatever - just because I wanna support the companies that at least make the effort to be nice to the dang chickens... ANYWAYS then you get like... some generic marinade. I just get "teriyaki" It doesn't entirely matter. And *I* like to get Pacific Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth (usually in the health foods area of the grocery store). Then you go home and put the chicken breasts in a gallon ziploc bag, put like a half cup to a cup of the marinade in there. Then put the broth in there to get it to cover up all the meat. Get the air out of the bag and zip it shut. Leave the bag in the fridge for 24 hours or so. Then dump the whole shebang into a casserole dish, and cook it in the oven at 350 degrees F for somewhere between 30 and 50 minutes - depending on how thick the meat is. Always check the meat to make sure there isn't any raw stuff in there before you decide you're done. Then you have some awesome tasty chicken to put into wraps or with your eggs or with your Mexican situation or to eat with pasta... whatever!

Ah... Yeah that's about all I do besides like, eat a straight yogurt or apple or whatever. And yea... don't be afraid to experiment in the kitchen with new things and just fail miserably - that's okay! You just TRY, and then you learn, and you move forward. That's okay! :P

Good luck!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    When it comes to planning a meal, it helps to think in terms of lean protein--veggies--starch. A good starting point is 4-6 oz of protein (tilapia, chicken, steak), about a cup of veggies (carrots, green beans, broccoli, spinach), and a 2-oz or 0.5-0.75-cup serving of starch (rice, potatoes, corn, pasta). Use a small amount of sauce or whatever fresh herbs you like for seasoning, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    You can learn a lot about preparing great meals by reading cookbooks.

I highly recommend Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" cookbook. The recipes are very well explained, and simple enough for beginners to learn - it was the point of the book. They taste great and are healthy, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If you want to learn to cook, cookbooks or cooking shows are wonderful ways to learn what foods and seasonings compliment each other. Or search online for recipe sites that include rankings of how easy the recipes are and how long it takes to prepare.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Cheese and Fruit or Vegetables

Pair a low fat cheese with freshly cut fruit like an apple, recommends the University of Illinois. The cheese contains protein while the fruit or vegetables contain slow-digesting fiber that keeps you full. In contrast, the university says eating just vegetables or fruit sans the protein will often leave you still feeling hungry

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/248107-low-calorie-foods-that-make-you-feel-full/#ixzz2RCZ3zQpF
  • melindasuefritz
    Meat-and-Whole-Grain Sandwich

The Mayo Clinic recommends pairing a lean meat, such as poultry, with whole grain bread as a nutrient-dense yet low-calorie lunch. This will help you "feel full longer," reports the clinic. Boost its health factor by adding extra fiber like dark green, leafy vegetables and a side of fresh fruit for dessert

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/248107-low-calorie-foods-that-make-you-feel-full/#ixzz2RCZLYStx
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    If you want a meal, just pair stuff together. Make your pasta with a chicken breast on top and some type of vegetable either mixed in or on the side.
  • melindasuefritz
    Whole Wheat Pasta

Pasta has a bad reputation as a source of lots of empty calories, but that mainly refers to white flour pasta. "Health" magazine suggests whole grain pastas because they contain up to 300 percent more stomach-filling fiber, often with 200 calories or less in every 1/2 cup serving.

Beans

Beans aren't just a top choice for lean, vegetarian protein. Dr. Ida Laquatra, reporting to "Women's Health" magazine, says beans' high fiber content gets digested more slowly in your stomach, so you have a feeling of fullness that lasts well beyond your meal. The Mayo Clinic specifically recommends lentils.

Fish

Fish are the top meat if you want lots of filling protein but fewer calories than what's found in red meats, states the Mayo Clinic. Even fatty fish can be healthy since their fat comes in the form of beneficial omega-3 fats.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/248107-low-calorie-foods-that-make-you-feel-full/#ixzz2RCZbBQSI
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

I highly recommend Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" cookbook. The recipes are very well explained, and simple enough for beginners to learn - it was the point of the book. They taste great and are healthy, too.

Agreed. Also, Rachel Ray has about a gazillion cookbooks filled with fast, simple meals.

Don't be afraid to try and fail. You might burn 50 dinners before you get one right. That's ok. Practice makes perfect.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Keep diced or whole canned tomatoes on hand, along with broth/stock (low sodium). I'll saute zucchini in tomatoes (or pasta sauce if it was on sale) instead of pasta. Or I'll crush the tomatoes and add some stock, onions, and spices like cumin and paprika and poach eggs in the sauce (poaching sounds scarier/more complicated than it is, just break open a few eggs over the sauce, once they start to set up gently put some sauce on top, cover the pan until done). The egg dish with flat bread and/or feta or queso fresca is super filling and really cheap. If chicken it on sale I grill it and portion it out to add to stuff through the week, or if I'm lazy, I get a rotisserie chicken to tear up. Black beans can be added to a lot of stuff easily too for extra protein. I always have salad fixings so that I don't overload my plate with entree and max out my calories.

Pay attention to what foods pair well together and what add-ins make sense. If I am making soup or pasta and have spinach in the fridge or freezer, I beef up my meal with that. Or I add in mushrooms or broccoli to stuff and reduce the amount of meat I have. Think of what restaurants or food shows put together and mimic that. Microwave stuff like veggies aren't really the devil, but a lot of meals are high in sodium and for what you get, you could easily make something similar for cheaper and just as healthy.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member

Agreed. Also, Rachel Ray has about a gazillion cookbooks filled with fast, simple meals.

Don't be afraid to try and fail. You might burn 50 dinners before you get one right. That's ok. Practice makes perfect.

All of the above and you can also google and find probably anything you ever want to know about cooking.