55 and new to MFP

Options
I have been on MFP a few days and have stuck to the program like glue. Love the phone app! I am exercising and eating back most of my calories. Previously I lost 50 pounds on slimgenics and gained all of it back...Anyone out there my age having success?

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    It's definitely doable...even at our age. I'm post menopausal due to chemotherapy treatments. Strike one. On Tamoxifen which is known to inhibit/prevent weight loss. Strike two. And have a fair amount of muscle loss from inactivity during a year of treatment for cancer. Strike three. And yet I lost 12lbs in just a couple of months - mainly because my doc said it couldn't be done and I wanted to prove him wrong ;).

I'm not quite 55, but pretty close. I'm 49. So yes, it can be done. Age is not the determining factor. You are.
  • jackiesueeastman
    jackiesueeastman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hmmmm...love the determination. Thanks for responding. This forum stuff is very new to me and you are my first friend!
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying again. I'm 52 and have some menopause and thyroid things going on that is making it very difficult for me to lose weight. In fact, I'm gaining. Trying to do this naturally with diet and exercise before I call a Doctor. I'm trying to eat healthy, get out in the garden, walk at lunch and do Callenetics. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I try to be on MFP a few times a day. I'd like to lose 30 pounds. ~ Terri
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    78 Here!! And still trying to lose weight!

My mantra.. I don't want to die fat!
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Congrats on 7 lbs! That's awesome. i'm 59 and found that when i eat right, my weight goes down. Sugar, diet pop and add-ins to coffee are quick to add weight. You'll do it!

Deb
  • michall68
    michall68 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with weight loss since I went thru menopause in my early 30's. It can be done though. My dietitian put me on a 1500 calorie diet and no more than 53 grams of fat. I maintained my calories between 1200 and 1500 and kept the fat grams under but I didnt deprive myself of a sweet from time to time. I did this for a month with no exercise and lost 19 pounds in 21 days. I stopped cause of my ex husband saying I was losing it for another man. I'm divorced now and getting back on this so I can get down where I want to be and with just having knee surgery in February, I still am pushing myself to exercise. I'm excited about this journey in my life and I know I can do it and so can you!! We all are here to support each other. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good job on deciding to take charge of your life and become healthier! :)
  • ozziebound
    ozziebound Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP a few days and have stuck to the program like glue. Love the phone app! I am exercising and eating back most of my calories. Previously I lost 50 pounds on slimgenics and gained all of it back...Anyone out there my age having success?

Yup 53 and counting here. Since last July 31st I am down 60lbs. Slow but sure with afew spurts here and there, recently this past week. Exercise, Exercise is the key!!! Good luck and welcome, MFP rocks!!!
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It definately works.. time, motivation, dedication and patience is the key. Just continue to stick with it! Feel free to add me... I log in everyday. Good luck to you!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable...even at our age. I'm post menopausal due to chemotherapy treatments. Strike one. On Tamoxifen which is known to inhibit/prevent weight loss. Strike two. And have a fair amount of muscle loss from inactivity during a year of treatment for cancer. Strike three. And yet I lost 12lbs in just a couple of months - mainly because my doc said it couldn't be done and I wanted to prove him wrong ;).

I'm not quite 55, but pretty close. I'm 49. So yes, it can be done. Age is not the determining factor. You are.

I honestly love this.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Almost 50 here, and I've been here a month and am loving it. I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution along with the food plan and am losing pounds and also inches. I think it's so important to stay as healthy as possible with menopause looming. Please feel free to friend me. I'm on every day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of us lurking around!
    I'm 53.

You might be interested in this group for 40 sometings & 50 somethings:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13110-40-to-50-year-olds
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'll be 53 in June and have just recently gotten serious about using MFP. The one thing about this site that has impressed me so much is how supportive everyone is. You couldn't find a more supportive group of cheerleaders. Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm 50.....51 in June. Lost 22lbs in last 6 months.....don't like rushing a good thing! :laugh:

I eat at TDEE-15% (1525) and don't net below my BMR (1240).....I eat more or less what I want & exercise regularly.

Good luck!!!!
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Jackiesue, although I am much, much younger than you (I don't turn 55 until May 1) as you can see by my ticker it has worked for me. The only thing I noticed was that I had better success if I only ate back about 1/2 to 3/4 of the exercise calories.

Here is why:

My body, per MFP calculations, burns about 2100 calories a day with normal activity. That is roughly 90 calories an hour.

Say I walk for an hour. MFP credits me with 250 calories burned. The problem is, I would have burned 90 of those calories without walking. So I really only burned 160 calories extra calories. If I were to eat 160 calories back, I'd still be on track. But if I eat 250 calories, I will be reducing my caloric deficit.

Welcome, and good luck!
  • Linda5678
    Linda5678 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 in June and I just logged my 35th day on MFP. I have lost 14 lbs in those 35 days. Add me to your friends list because I think having and giving daily encouragement is helping me stay on track. I log my food and exercise daily and it is working! We can get healthier and change the way we are going to live the best part of our lives!
  • slimjoycenow
    slimjoycenow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, and have just posted elsewhere about restarting. I lost 19lbs between September and Xmas, then needed a big operation, and have felt so unwell and sorry for myself tat Ive put 8 back on. So just restarting today. I also have no thyroid, and my thyroxine levels have been all over the place recently. I've about 42 lbs to lose.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm 57; I joined Jan., 2012, and have lost 40 pounds. I surpassed my goal weight and am now maintaining. I hope you enjoy MFP as much as I do.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP has been encouraging for me to keep going. I am very slow at losing ... I have lost 8 pounds since about the beginning of December 2012, and have about 10 pounds to go. But, I have lost several inches and also am stronger and healthier than when I started. I log on every day. I like having friends here - mine are great. Feel free to send me a friend request., and have fun and good luck in your weight loss and fitness journey!
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I am 56 and started at the end of March, I have lost 7lbs in all (had lost 2 before I signed on here), I log each day and have already got some great friends getting and receiving encouragement.

I am happy to send a message if you wish to add me, very best of luck in your journey :happy:
  • tab0423
    tab0423 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'll be 53 tomorrow...it is definitely attainable. I started on November 1, 2012 and to date I have lost 68 pounds. I owe it to MFP. I log faithfully everyday and exercise 60 minutes 6 days a week. Add me as a friend if you like. Remember, focus on small goals (10 or 20 pounds at a time) and eventually you will reach the ultimate goal.