FitBit Users

Options
Ten10
Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
I am confused and it's probably why I am not motivated, anyway I have had my fit bit for a while and have been under the impression that while I am wearing it I don't have to log any activities into MFP because it will account for calories burned, is this true? I like to know what I am doing and what level I am at, not just calories burned. Any help in clarifying this would be appreciated.

Replies

• gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm no expert but I think Fitbit DOES track your daily activity... I still log my exercises into MFP most days unless I notice fitbit has already calculated the number of excess calories I've burned.

The thing is, I feel like it tells you WHEN you are most active based on your number of steps and when you get over a certain number of calories (estimated) burned it starts calculating the deficit.

When I have a HRM I like to put in the calories myself so there is no guessing (less guessing)

So I guess, really I don't know! Sorry. Wish I could be of more help. I just know that I put in the calories myself if I know them, and if I don't I let the fitbit calculate it.
  • megost
    megost Posts: 6
    Options
    I use the fitbit as well!

I still log my workouts. When I do MFP adjusts the number of calories burned depending on how many MFP estimates and how many calories the Fitbit does. The reason I do this is because the Fitbit doesn't exactly know what kind of activities you are doing.

Make sure to remember what time you start your workouts and how long you do them. Then when you enter the numbers in, the Fitbit and MFP will know that at this time you weren't just walking or running. That is how I understand it anyway.

In my opinion, I think it gives you a more accurate calorie burn. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is most accurate for logging stepping exercises - i.e. walking, jogging, running, etc. and is great for measuring your total daily activity.

However, it is not very accurate at measuring burns for cycling, weight lifting, aerobics, dance, swimming, etc. so activities like these should be logged as exercise activities. MFP recommends logging them just on MFP (assuming your fitbit is synced to MFP) but I have found that for me the calorie burn values on the fitbit site are more accurate and are closer to what my HRM gives so when I havent used my HRM I log exercise records on fitbit.

To log an activity/exercise record you can use the start/stop function on fitbit but this is not essential, just be sure to make a note of the time you started and ended the activity.
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank You for responding I understand it better now.