Heart rate monitor/GPS recommendations?

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
I am going to purchase an HRM/GPS and want to know what you like/dislike about yours? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am a hardcore Garmin fan, however, i use it primarily as a GPS for running, not a HRM. I have just started using the HRM feature.
    I used to have the 301 and 305 ( both lost due to me, not a quality issue) but they have since discontinued those models. My current on is 405 which I find a little more complicated to use. I don't like the touch bevel instead of the buttons, but I've got the hang of it now.
    If you go with a Garmin and you intend to use the HRM to estimate calories, check the specs. Not every model has a HRM and out of those that do, not every model bases the calorie estimates off of the HRM (if you go to the product website and click on the specs, you'll see it in the list).
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Not every model has a HRM and out of those that do, not every model bases the calorie estimates off of the HRM (if you go to the product website and click on the specs, you'll see it in the list).

Thanks for the info! That surprises me about the calorie estimates..does it say under the specs if cal burn goes by HRM?
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    Options
    i love my Polar ft4...very simple..it gives me what i need: my heart rate and my calories burnt :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Not every model has a HRM and out of those that do, not every model bases the calorie estimates off of the HRM (if you go to the product website and click on the specs, you'll see it in the list).

Thanks for the info! That surprises me about the calorie estimates..does it say under the specs if cal burn goes by HRM?

Yes, it says "Heart rate-based calorie computation" - yes or no.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod11039.html
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Bluetooth Zephyr HRM BT for Android for about 6 weeks. It is great if you bring your phone with on your runs. I use it with Endomondo and it tracks everything from distance, max and min heart rate, estimated calories and will also map your run. Like I said the only downfall is having to run with your phone but all my music is on there anyway so no big deal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    i love my Polar ft4...very simple..it gives me what i need: my heart rate and my calories burnt :)

Yes, but I don't believe the FT4 has a GPS.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want it to do. If it is just to keep track of distance and pace any of them will do that. If you want it to alert you when you are hitting pace or HR zones and if you want to program workouts into it then you'll have to spend some more money.

Personally, if money is not an issue I would recommend the Garmin 610. If money is an issue I would recommend the Garmin 210 mainly because you can program interval workouts and you can add a footpod to use it inside on treadmills.

Also, if you are going to use it for calorie count make sure the one you buy calculates with HRM data. Most of the newer garmins do, but some older models do not.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something that functions as both a GPS and a HRM, your only real options are the higher end Garmin and Suunto models (ridiculously expensive but worth it if you want these features). A more affordable option is to purchase the Polar chest strap that allows you to transmit to your phone via bluetooth and use it in conjunction with a GPS app. Your battery may not last the duration of your run though when running these two functions simultaneously.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Runtastic tells me 280 cals for the 1 hour 5 mile I just walked ran, I had Runkeeper going as well and its saying 438 cals burned so the question again is which to belive lol I dont have a heart monitor but I think they all give different readings MFP tells me for the same distance and time 595 cals burned so when you find out what is gooooooooooooooooood then let me know lol:flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Everything you want to know about all the different products is here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Everything you want to know about all the different products is here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

Agree, I love this site! I wanted a nice Garmin but bought a Timex Run Trainer after reading the dcrainmaker review of it. It has a lot of features at a reasonable price, far less than a comparably equipped Garmin. The Garmins are worth it if you can afford it; I hope to own one some day. But I have no regrets about buying the Run Trainer and recommend it if cost is a big obstacle.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you have an Iphone 4S or 5, then get the $70 Polar H7. It works on bluetooth, and will do everything the Garmin can do. The free Polar Beat app works awesome for all exercises too.
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Bluetooth camp. I have a Polar T7 that syncs to my iPhone via bluetooth. I find it very simple to use, although I typically have two apps going for running or walking. I use Runkeeper and the Polar app. The polar app always gives me a higher calorie burn than Runkeeper, even though Runkeeper can access my HRM as well.

I think that for most cardio work, unless you are doing extremely short bursts of high-intensity, a HRM will give more accurate calorie burn than anything else available to consumers.

I also use a fitbit, so I can track indoor workouts with it.

Mike
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    If you have an Iphone 4S or 5, then get the $70 Polar H7. It works on bluetooth, and will do everything the Garmin can do. The free Polar Beat app works awesome for all exercises too.

My only issue with that is that you can't wear your phone on your wrist, so if you want to monitor your pace you have to hold your phone (my carrier was on my upper arm) I just recently bought my Garmin (the third one) and had been using iPhone with an app before that. I could get certain info feedback though my headphones but if I was doing a workout where I had a specific pace goal or if I wanted constant feedback, it was a pain.

Again, it basically comes down to what you are looking to do.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded to the Polar RCX5 with GPS transmitter from a basic Garmin (FR70). You have to buy the gps unit and it is an extra thing to carry but I love it!

It is the type of watch you can wear all day due to it being slim. I love that you can see all the data you choose to see on one screen and can effortlessly switch to a second view that gives you more detail. I have the Tour de France version so it came with a few cycling accessories that I still need to get set up. I also like the polar personal trainer website that you upload your data to. You can also swipe it across your chest strap to change the view without touching a button. It's waterproof and i believe it shows your heart rate but not 100 percent on that one. I do like that I can set it cycle, ride my bike to the gym and then quickly set it to my workout and then set it back to cycling for the ride home. It's 2 buttons! So easy.

There are many more settings and I'm looking forward to learning about them and putting them to use. The GPS unit is very small and light but is very accurate.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

My only issue with that is that you can't wear your phone on your wrist, so if you want to monitor your pace you have to hold your phone (my carrier was on my upper arm) I just recently bought my Garmin (the third one) and had been using iPhone with an app before that. I could get certain info feedback though my headphones but if I was doing a workout where I had a specific pace goal or if I wanted constant feedback, it was a pain.

Again, it basically comes down to what you are looking to do.

I had the same issue. I used a phone/app/strap for several months and actually fell once while checking my pace. (Stupid, I know, but in my defense I was running a trail and caught my shoe on a vine - not as big an an issue for road runners). Also, the GPS reception of a dedicated GPS/HRM watch is superior to that of the cell/apps that I have used when in tree cover and such while trail running or mountain biking. It can still be a problem, but the watch reception is superior to that of a phone.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    bump, going to be looking for one of these soon
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I LOVE it. I feel that it's pretty accurate because I always "eat back my exercise calories" that I burn according to my HRM, and my weight loss has been consistent and steady.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    my friend uses a garmin for GPS on his runs but not sure how accurate the HRM on that is. there are also a lot of apps that can track this on iphone/android
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options

this is what I have too...LOVE IT!!!