Adjusting calories when injured

Options
So I had a bit of an unfortunate accident yesterday while running. Relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but a previous hip issue has flared up and I am tearing up when I walk down the hallway. As a result, my typical exercise schedule is going to have to take a break for at least a week or two.

Since I have a desk job, I had calculated TDEE - 20% as somewhere between lightly & moderately active = 1700-1800 calories.

TYPICAL EXERCISE SCHEDULE:
- brisk walk of 20-30 mins 5x a week
- 45 min run 3x a week
- strength training 2x a week

RECOVERY EXERCISE SCHEDULE
- lots of physio stretches and strengthening exercises for both hips
- some upper body strength training, but only non-compound exercises that are generally seated
- focus on ab work

Of course, my primary focus is on getting this hip better. With that said, I would like to continue to focus on food/nutrition to make the most of the time off my feet AND keep my mind in the game - I am fragile and don't want to slip into the bad habits I so recently bid adieu.

I am now wondering whether I should be revising my calorie goals for the recovery phase by moving towards totally sedentary TDEE - 20% ... OR should I keep eating at 1700-1800 calories to keep the metabolism up?

Appreciate thoughts & feedback. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Pretty please? :)
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'd say that re-calculating will be a good idea temporarily. If you literally can't exercise at all that would put you as sedentary using most TDEE calculators. So redo this as sedentary rather than lightly active and find your new total, and then change it back when you can exercise again.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP - recalculate TDEE with sedentary, for the time you can't exercise.
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had to take 3 weeks off of all exercise after a serious case of tendinitis in my foot from running. I couldn't work out at all but also had to limit walking as much as possible. I recalculated TDEE using sedentary setting and then ate TDEE-20%. I was able to continue losing weight at about the same pace as I was before.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Well, if it were me, I'd probably stick with about the same calorie range for a bit, and just not expect to lose anything. After all, doesn't it take a bit more for the body to repair after an injury? And even if not, if you're eating at just TDEE for a few weeks, it's not all that bad. It'd be easier, in my opinion, to not adjust the calories too much. It'll keep you from slipping into the bad habits to still track and eat the right way, but you won't be feeling even more deprived.

But note, I have no scientific basis for this or anything. I just know that, when I'm healing, I'm a big ol' baby, and if I have to cut back calories even more it just makes me feel sorrier for myself :laugh:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I couldn't exercise due to sickness for 2 weeks. I didn't adjust anything and gained 200 grams (less than 1/2 pound) over that period. It was good having a 'holiday' from training as my weight seems to be coming off easily since I've resumed.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you're not exercising, your TDEE is going to be lower. Also your NEAT is going to be lower since I doubt you'll be going out of your way to walk up the stairs and stuff when in pain ..... ergo, lower your calorie intake.
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    If you are wanting to see weight loss, you should decrease your calorie intake according to activity level, especially if/since you will be burning a lower amount of calories with mainly upper body and therapy.

If you are trying to build muscle, you can alter intake slightly by either going up a little or down a little, and maybe keeping it the same, depending on the burn you get during the day.

I know you are wanting to focus on recovery, but your goals all have the same method for result: Calories in / Calories out.

Definitely keep in mind though, that if you decide to continue with weight loss, being less active and not using your larger muscle groups for an extended time can cause you to lose a lot more quickly without toning fat. It's good to consider possibly slowing weight loss to the minimum (still losing, though) until you are able to move more fluently and are healed before resuming your average loss.

You can always ask your doctor what they think, too. :)

Good luck, and I hope you heal well! Take care!
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    I'd also like to add that changing up what you eat can be beneficial to the healing process. Eating more clean (not sure how clean your nutrition is) and focusing on certain proteins and whole foods can have a tremendous effect on how well and quickly you recover. If you are wanting to know more about foods, talk with a nutritionist and/or Google "foods for injuries" (or something similar).
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words and great suggestions. I just started the tdee approach 3 weeks ago so am hesitant to cut too much in fear of slowing whatever furnace has just started kicking into gear. What I'm going to do is sedentary tdee minus 10% vs my lightly active tdee minus 20% which results in about 100-50 calorie difference - totally manageable.

I am such a baby though... My leg hurts and the last thing I want to do is ab or arm work! That idea was soooo good in theory.