What's the best IPHONE APP to count Calories

Options
While working out? Like if i want to go outdoor for a jog.

Thank you.

Replies

• Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd get a heart rate monitor, it'd be the best way to get an accurate account of how many calories you burn.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'd get a heart rate monitor, it'd be the best way to get an accurate account of how many calories you burn.

^Yup, this.

You can get apps that use your GPS to track your distance and average your pace out (with possible weight/age) to give you a calorie readout (much like a treadmill does). But, you will need a HRM that interfaces with your iPhone, which many new ones do, to get the most accurate calorie readout.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

^Yup, this.

You can get apps that use your GPS to track your distance and average your pace out (with possible weight/age) to give you a calorie readout (much like a treadmill does). But, you will need a HRM that interfaces with your iPhone, which many new ones do, to get the most accurate calorie readout.

yeah agreed. I use a Polar FT4 and it's great. I am sure there are other models that sync automatically, but I prefer it manually because I like to break up the information into stages (women and their craziness)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Depends what exercise you are doing - for example I love my Garmin watch but thats because if use it for cycling and running - it does a lot more than count calories. Just for calories - Agree - HRM.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit zip on the weekend. It's not a HRM, but it syncs to your iphone and myfitnesspal, and calculates steps, distance, calories burned, and speed (based on time and distance I think). You input your gender, height and weight when you sign in to start using it. I'm loving it so far. It's basically a pedometer but SO small and light (and SUPER accurate - for me so far anyway!). But at $60, it isn't cheap (but it's reasonable and unlike other cheaper pedometer thingies, it actually WORKS and counts EVERY step. I walk a lot, and have also started running, so this works for me.

And it does a calorie adjustment thing on MFP, since it syncs with MFP thru a wireless dongle.