exercise on an empty stomach early in the morning

Options

Replies

• staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    Exercising on an empty stomach will burn the same amount of calories, but your body is more likely breaking down muscle instead of fat. Eat a granola bar 15 minutes before, it's not that hard.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/does-exercising-on-an-empty-stomach-burn-more-fat/
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    If it works for you I'd say keep doing it. I actually feel great. I just make sure I replenish some type of protein after I'm done.
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    I have always worked out, before the sunrise on an empty stomach. If I eat or drink ANYTHING (besides a little water during the workout) I get very nauseous. If it works for you, do it, if you find you need something maybe try having just a little something to get you through the workout.

^^^This is me. Training on an empty stomach is the only way I can work. Since I run 2-3 miles before I lift, the sloshing in belly really gets to me. I've done it this way since I started and have had no problems. Just remember: do what works for you and you only.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Cardio - yes

Proper lifting - no
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I do a 5;45 AM boot camp (Insanity like workout) on an empty stomach. If I eat prior to working out that early I get sick during the workout. I DO make sure to eat something with protein within an hour of working out, however.
    It makes me feel good all day, and if I don't do it first thing in the morning I find I don't do it at all!

Me too! I don't eat before boot camp, but it is really early in the AM. I do eat shortly afterwards and make sure to get plenty of protein.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP! I just rejoined MFP and still looking for some supportive friends so please feel free to add me. I have decided to workout at 5am before I get my day started since I haven't been able to find time to workout in the evening with 2 kids (1 1/2 & 7). I started today and I did the eliptical for 30 min. I feel really energized and awake.....I hope I don't crash later! But I am wondering is it ok to exercise on an empty stomach? I don't know how I would eat before working out since I am already getting up at 5 am and if I did eat how long do I have to wait after eating to exercise? Please help me :)

I am 34, 5 foot 1, 170lbs working towards 150lbs

I can't stand eating in the morning. Most of the time I'll wait 14-18 hours before I break my fast. I usually work out in a fasted state, workouts usually feel a lot better.

I haven't died yet. Way I see it, I already ate those meals, in the past and now have to earn them off. YMMV. Good rule of thumb, if you feel good, great. If you don't, change.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:00 a.m. and am at the gym by 4:20 or so. I do a 5-10 min warmup, then lift for about an hour and then do about 20-30 minutes of intervals. I do this on an empty stomach and feel fine (and I don't think I have any strength or stamina issues during lifting or cardio).

I used to eat before working out, but at that time I had a 70 minute commute (plus the time it took to get the kids out the door with me) before I actually started my workout, and that was just too long for me to go without eating. I don't notice any difference in strength or stamina between then and now. However, I must add that I was following the standard american diet at that time, and I think that could have been part of why I "needed to eat." These days, I don't feel a need to eat until after I get home, get the kids up and off to school/daycare and then I get back home to work (I work from home). Then I eat a nice high fat and high protein breakfast and I'm good to go!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out on an empty stomach. If not I get queasy and have to stop.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I workout at 545. If I wake up and am hungry, I eat a banana or cheese stick before. Sometimes I eat one after. I don't wait to eat. The only thing that I make sure to do is drink water while exercising - the rest just depends on how I feel that day.

Good luck!
  • sabrinacj
    sabrinacj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your great responses! I think I will try to continue on an empty stomach and definitely eat within an hour afterwards. I had high protein greek yogurt and some pastrami for breakfast and I am getting hungry again.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just wake up, brush my teeth, wash my face, change into workout clothes and go. Maybe drink a glass or two of water. But I cannot eat before I hit the gym. I usually wait 20-30 minutes after I eat, if at all I do, or else I can feel the food swishing around in my stomach, and its not the greatest of feelings.

There are people who fuel up before hitting the gym, but I'm not one of them lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Exercising on an empty stomach will burn the same amount of calories, but your body is more likely breaking down muscle instead of fat. Eat a granola bar 15 minutes before, it's not that hard.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/does-exercising-on-an-empty-stomach-burn-more-fat/
    Depends on your glycogen storage level. Also food energy isn't available 15 minutes after eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Depends on your glycogen storage level. Also food energy isn't available 15 minutes after eating.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

but... but... a blogger said...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

no....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cardio - yes

Proper lifting - no

I do 'proper lifting' fasted. No issues at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^yep. It is highly unlikely you will be depleted - food takes a long time to digest, absorb and be utilized.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine, then it's fine.

Personally, if I try to do it I'm liable to simply drop dead if I don't vomit or fall on my face from lack of coordination first.
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    I think you go off how you feel. When I work out early I feel like I have no energy and am going to throw up. I try to have something small: a string cheese or yogurt right when I wake up, or half an apple or cutie. My workouts are usually about 45 min of cardio and half hour or strength so they are quite a bit longer.
    I guess eating something small... mentally it can help me to have more energy I guess. Our bodies are amazing to think we can go all night without eating then wake-up and work out. I am a big believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day so make sure you have something close to your workout. Good job at being so motivated... getting up early is hard!
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I say do whatever works for you, it is really about getting the most out of your workout.

Essentially you shouldn't need it. The typical human body has ample energy stores to get you through an hour of intense exercise. In fact eating a bunch of food before a workout can work against you, because digestion sends blood to your stomach and exercise sends blood to your extremities, trying to do both can cause an inefficient use of your bodies resources. My personal physiology is 3 hours before you workout you can have a big meal like lunch, two hours before a workout keep your cals to 300 or less. One hour before keep it to 200 or less and if you need it ten mins before exercise eat fewer then 100 cals like a banana or other fruit. Something all carb is best. This is just what I have found I have worked out at night, in the morning early and currently mid afternoon. You just do what works for you. As I said its really about getting the most out of your workout!! Good luck to you :)
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I run almost every morning at 3am prior to getting myself and my kids (4 & 7) ready for the day. I never eat prior to my runs and have had no issues to date. As long as you eat a good meal after your exercise you should be fine. Base it on how you feel during your workouts.

I'm sorry... does that say 3am? I can't fathom this. I hope you go to bed at 7pm...