lower end of a healthy BMI

I have noticed lately that people on here are getting rude when they see people aiming for the lower end of a healthy BMI. Why is there a problem with this? These people (myself included) know they don’t NEED to lose weight and so what if it is for vanity reasons? It is still a HEALTHY weight, it isn’t any less healthy than the higher end of a healthy BMI. So what is the problem?

Replies

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    The wording is very hard to understand. Do you mean a healthy HIGHER BMI? A lower BMI would be healthier. I higher healthy BMI would be higher. You may want to reword.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    No I mean I am seeing people on the forum getting rude when they see people aiming for the lower end of ''healthy'' eg. BMI 18.6-19, but this is still HEALTHY, so what is the problem?
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I think what she means is that when you go to a BMI calculator, there is a large range of weight per height that falls within the "normal" range.

For example, at my height -5' 2.5", the low end of a "normal" BMI is 105 lbs. & the high end is 153 lbs (calculated with 5' 3"). Personally, if I were to get down to the low weight for my "normal" range, I would be too skinny (for me to personally feel attractive). I was less than that in high school & around that before I got married. I look at pictures of myself from then & I can see all my bones in my chest, shoulders, arms. I had a very high metabolism then & ate like crazy so it wasn't something I was striving for & that messed me up later when everything slowed down & I was still eating like crazy :smile: . On the flip side, right now I'm at 159.5 lbs & near the top end of my "normal" range & I know that, for me, I am not going to stop there.

I think the negative reaction the OP sees is really a matter of aesthetics. Some people don't think the skin & bones look is healthy or attractive & some do. I have had the same negative reaction when I see people taller than me trying to get skinnier than I would ever think to get, but I keep it to myself & as long as it is healthy, why shouldn't they do what they want. I'm OK with vanity, it plays a large part in my weight loss journey.
  • carolmcgov
    I understand what you are saying but I have always been a size 8uk (eating what I want) until I put on weight after having 2 little girls in 3 years.
    My weight was 124lbs when I started my fitness pal, I am now 114lbs and 5ft5 and I can assure you there are no visible bones. In fact I have a 32DD chest.
    Different people carry weight differently and as long as someone’s goal weight is still a healthy BMI I don't see why there should be any negativity
  • carolmcgov
    Also I think it is just as rude for someone to say being at the lower end of healthy looks ''boney'' as it would be to say being the higher end of healthy looks chubby.